PDA

View Full Version : What is IE's problem???????

bowser1111
May 12th, 2006, 12:12 AM
What the hell is internet explorer's problem??

Is there no way I can keep it from "restricting access to activeX objects" when I run a page on my local machine?

Also why does it bring up that message even on a simple HTML page that has no <script> or <embed> tags of any kind? It pretty much seems hit and miss as to when that warning fires at all.

And check THIS out:

<html>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript1.2" src="temp.js">
</head>
<body>
<div>Temp text.</div>
</body>
</html>

temp.js is completely BLANK, and yet IE won't load this simple page at all!!

No DIV...no text... no nothing, even after I "allow blocked content"!

What is going ON???

COBOLdinosaur
May 12th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Close the script with </script>

IE is a piece of garbage, but most probelms with it are caused be developers who don't bother to spend any time reading the technical documentation of how it work (or doesn't work) and think a browser should be able to read their minds.

bowser1111
May 12th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Yikes....deepest apologies for that glaring mistake...

The third question I fired off out of frustration...unfortunately I tend to do that a lot. I promise to validate my code before asking any more questions :).

The first two, however, I've looked into in depth, and I'm still looking into a solution for those.

boxxer03
May 12th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Whenever IE restricts ActiveX objects on a local machine you can usually click on it when it pops up and there is an 'allow' button you can click on to allow it to do so.

COBOLdinosaur
May 12th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Sorry bowser, I didn't mean to snap. Just the mention of IE puts in a bad mood. :(

Part of the problem is that Microsquash has been inconsistent in how they handle activex in browsers and developers have had to jump around trying to keep thing working the way they intended because various patches, fixes, Service Pack and what not from M$ keep changing the way they work; and what security levels apply.

In IE7 ActiveX will be disable by default. At least that is the word out of Redmond at the moment. The real problem for developers and IE7 is that as the result of losing a lawsuit IE has to handle the oject, embed and applet tags differently, and M$ has not been real clear on whether there is going to be a tool to halp make any changes necessary. Even with a tool we will probably run across a lot of site that have big dead zones where there used to be an Active control, or an embedded object.

Like most thing we get from the big guys, we have to wait ans see what the reality is, because the advance information generally does not hold when the product is finally delivered

danelkayam
May 12th, 2006, 11:28 PM
It would be so much simpler if everyone would use Linux with Firefox and Microsoft HQ burned down and their stocks crashed.

Kor
May 13th, 2006, 12:59 AM
eeer I guess you should instruct your browser/interpretor which kind of HTML/XHTML variant you intend to use. Give a google about DOCTYPE ;)

bowser1111
May 13th, 2006, 03:36 AM
No, to be honest that deserved a snap...

I'm not a total newbie when it comes to scripting, but I still make mistakes like that all the time... perhaps forgetfulness + programming = bad combination?

Anyway, ActiveX being disabled by default means that scripts and flash objects will be unviewable by default? I sure hope it's easy to turn back on if that's the case. And in what way is it supposed to handle the tags differnetly?

I can *somewhat* understand M$'s obsession with security (especially with so many holes), but talk about "big brother" when a big banner flashes across the screen saying that my harmless little script that makes a cute little ball bounce on the screen is "ACTIVE CONTENT THAT MAY POTENTIALLY HARM YOUR COMPUTER". OH MY GOD!!! ACTIVE CONTENT, NOOOOOOOOO!!

Being a web developer is half about making things simple and obvious for people who have no idea what's going on behind then scenes (the majority of whom would probably be using MSIE), and M$ jumps in and flashes a message that makes it look like I just tried to attack their computer or something!

This is probably old news to everyone, but this thread reminds me of a site I saw that had a script which, when viewing the page in IE, flashes a banner at the top of the screen IDENTICAL to the "ActiveX Warning", which says:

"Internet Explorer has just prevented you from having an enjoyable web viewing experience. Click for more options..."

As I recall, clicking on the banner would take you to the Firefox homepage. :)

COBOLdinosaur
May 13th, 2006, 01:15 PM
"Internet Explorer has just prevented you from having an enjoyable web viewing experience. Click for more options..."

As I recall, clicking on the banner would take you to the Firefox homepage.

:thumbsup:

This page might help you:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/activating_activex.asp

The big problem M$ has to get around is they cannot have active controls directly in the page. They have to get loaded or activated using script. I'm not sure how exactly they are going to implement in IE 7, but that page discusses some of the ways to keep active content active in IE6.

felgall
May 13th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Enabling ActiveX by default was the biggest mistake that Microsoft made with Internet Explorer. It was only ever really intended for intranet use and is responsible for hundreds of still existing security holes in the browser. Those functions that IE6 performs using ActiveX controls that are allowable on the internet will mostly be replaced in IE7 with the standard method that all other browser use to perform those functions so that ActiveX will no longer be required except on intranets where the browser needs to more closely interact with the computer. No browser apart from IE on Windows has ever had ActiveX functionality and most other browsers can handle web pages that follow the standards far better than IE6 can.

A decision by Microsoft to turn ActiveX off by default is about 10 years overdue.

COBOLdinosaur
May 14th, 2006, 02:06 PM
A decision by Microsoft to turn ActiveX off by default is about 10 years overdue.

I agree. The problem they got themselves into was that they had to have a way for their development tools to use a browser interface and they wanted to lock everyone into their software.

The biggest boost to open source development, has been Microslop's refusal to follow any recognized standards for anything, and then screw everyone with unreasonable licensing fees.

At the enterprise level open source is starting to gain entry primarily because the best software for web apps are all open source. Apache, Firefox, PHP and mySQL all work together seamlessly to produce Web apps that are secure reliable, and efficient. Mostly what we see from M$ are the re-skinning of old technology, patches for bugs and security holes, and bloat code that gets in the way of usability instead of supporting it.

The Redmond gang is making money so they will continue the way they are going with just token responses to real need until they see red ink on the bottom line, and by then it may be too late. They are not the first good company with good ideas to choke on their own arrogance; and they probably won't be the last.

dali71
May 15th, 2006, 01:53 AM
I found this once. I'm not sure if this is exactly what you need ans if brings any additional conflict.
Please the experts outhere give your advice as I'm a newbie on this issues.

no more Internet Explorer blocking active content for me please~~
Just add this one line to your .html page when developing / testing local flash content.

(save this in a line below the doctype tag)

<!-- saved from url=(0013)about:internet -->

or read about it here:

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19542

bowser1111
May 15th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Well well!!

That seems to have worked...

For people who didn't click on the link, in IE it's:

Tools --> Internet Options --> Advanced --> Security --> Check "Allow active content to run in files on my computer"

That does it!

Yes, yes, I realize that could allow harmful scripts in, but frankly I could give a ****ing s**t if I NEVER HAVE TO SEE THAT 'ACTIVE CONTENT' BAR AGAIN IN MY LIFE.

I guess I missed that option....

Well, that pretty much takes care of all my (*current*) grievances of IE...

I think I still hate IE... I just couldn't tell you why at the moment...

I think I'll go code or style something...then it'll all come back to me.