View Full Version : simple question - the name of the technology that allows HTML desktops

10-23-2002, 11:07 AM
In windows, you can specify an html page as your desktop, complete with links etc. - I thought that this technology from microsoft had a name, not a techie one, just something like Webpage Completion technology, not that obviously, but you get the gist....

Could someone tell me the name of it, please? It's for ICT coursework and I guess I want to look good by putting in something original :)

10-23-2002, 11:25 AM
I thought that it was just called "Active Desktop", and according to Microsoft, there are no high tech names for it, because it is just like IE but on a desktop. Pretty simple when you think about it.

Also, I do honestly doubt that the moderators, or your teacher would be impressed by the naming of a technology that more than likely does not exist.

Anyhow, I will ask someone else, just to make sure, and I will post a reply in a bit.



10-23-2002, 11:50 AM
An Active Desktop Item is a small Web page that sits on your Active Desktop.

So it has no special name. Sorry.


10-23-2002, 12:35 PM
no, no, no - that was the name i'm looking for, or rather the phrase to use! Active Desktop :)

And as for the markers etc. on my coursework? Believe me, if you know fancy phrases, you're guarenteed an A - they're very big on using "correct terminology" ... and rather than write "the thingies" this and "the whatsitmajigs" that, it'd be better if I actually found something out from research that doesn't look as if the teacher's simply dictated to a load of monkeys who write down her every word in their work (which tends to happen a lot).

Anyhow, thanks! :)

10-24-2002, 01:53 AM
Yeah .. teachers like students who aren't monkeys :thumbsup:

Except perhaps, monkey teachers :D