PDA

View Full Version : Javascript compiler

skip_ryan
Feb 8th, 2006, 03:58 PM
hey I am new to javascripts and I want to learn about them, I am doing a research project on it in school and my teacher wants me to make a code of my own does anyone know a good and easy javascipt compiler to start off with? any help is appreciated thanks in advance

liorean
Feb 8th, 2006, 04:00 PM
JavaScript isn't generally a compiled language, though the JScript.NET and ActionScript implementations are compiled. JavaScript as seen in browsers is interpreted, so all you need is a browser.

skip_ryan
Feb 8th, 2006, 04:06 PM
ok lol I don't know to much my teacher said something about a compiler or something, so alls I need is a browser and just make a html code and add a javascript code, how do you make a code just like htl is it only obvisouly a little different. lol if I am making any sense

skip_ryan
Feb 9th, 2006, 01:23 AM
oki'll try making that more clear to make a javascript do you need a program(or does it help) or do u just use a html editor type thing and just put a code into it

_Aerospace_Eng_
Feb 9th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Well you will probably want a program that does syntax highlighting. SCiTe does this. Search around for the download. Dreamweaver is a good tool for javascript snippets though they are often quite bulky but they get the job done. DW also has syntax highlighting.

fci
Feb 9th, 2006, 02:44 AM
you can 'compile' JavaScript with Rhino (http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/) but it's probably not what you mean.
here is your first tutorial skip_ryan, copy and paste the following into Notepad(or an editor that is available on your platform), save it as hello_world.html

<script type="text/javascript"><!--
alert('hello world');
--></script>

now, open that file in your browser (file > open > select hello_world.html)

that is how easy it is to get started, you just need a browser and a text editor.

here is the editor _Aerospace_Eng_ suggested which is infintely more user friendly the notepad:
http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

Kor
Feb 9th, 2006, 09:17 AM
By short. javascript is not a compiled language, thus it needs and it has no real compiler. The code are to be written by hand. There are some editors (which is not the same with a compiler) which might help you coding more quickly (by autocompleting, colouring or highlighting), or even writes automatically some small codes for you - as DW (but I would not rely on this), yet mainly the code is to be written the same in a sophisticated editor as in Notepad.

If no compiler, than no debugger. Yet there is a useful tool which might show you the errors: the Mozilla's (and FF) javascript console.

To learn, understand and apply javascript you need to know very well HTML and CSS as well.

skip_ryan
Feb 9th, 2006, 03:52 PM
ok thanks a lot that helped a lot guys lol, especially urs kor and thanks for the tutorial FCI lol already seen it on W3schools website lol thanks n e ways tho

Vinipuh
Jun 21st, 2006, 10:47 PM
My favorite is 1st JavaScript Editor (http://yaldex.com/JSFactory_Pro.htm)