PDA

View Full Version : How do i block somebody from copying and or saving a picture

cknappc
07-27-2005, 02:11 AM
i have a few pictures on my page that i dont want people to be able to copy or save at all... how can i prevent that?

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-27-2005, 02:18 AM
You can't end of story. Most you can do is watermark your images by putting your name over them or something in a light colored text.

warhammerdude20
07-27-2005, 02:19 AM
you can make it hard for them, but you cant make it impossible.

i would copyright the image if i were you.

cknappc
07-27-2005, 02:25 AM
i have been to websites where you can't save the picture... i can't think of one off the top of my head though

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-27-2005, 02:46 AM
Maybe they had a no right click script or something. Even those are very easy to get around. It takes less than 2 seconds to disable javascript.

cknappc
07-27-2005, 03:53 AM
oh ok.... thanks

martin_narg
07-27-2005, 11:55 AM
You didn't get a call from dealmaker about this (http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=64218) did you?

*snicker*

On a more serious note though, a webserver is designed to serve content to the requesting client (normally the user) - so in fact what happens is the user's browser requests a page, that page and images and content then gets temporarily (sometimes more permanently) downloaded and then the browser displays that content.

By the very nature of webservers, they are designed to share files to anyone requesting them. All that is different from sharing a folder on your hard drive is the way in which the file is moved from the webserver to the user's browser. This ways of moving information are called the protocols. So for sharing files on your hard drive via a windows network, you use Microsofts "File and Print Sharing" protocol. For webservers a more global protocol is used called HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol) as not everyone uses Microsoft Windows - it's also worth knowing that HTML stands for HyperText Markup Language, see the similarity? ;) This is all very irrelevant, but geekily interesting I guess.

There is something you can do to protect your images somewhat however. Where appropriate you can edit the actual image and put your name or website and a copyright symbol on it, this way even if the user downloads the image it still has your information on it and they would need to manually edit the picture. (This is what _Aerospace_Eng_ says in the first response to this thread).

This is really one of the few options available as trying to use any form of code at all still allows a user to take a screenshot of your website and using minimal graphical ability cut out the image and save it to their hard drive.

The main gist of this post is really that the internet is geared up to send out information to anyone who wants it, it then becomes impossible to determine what they do with it.

Hope this information helps.

m_n

Edit: Some people may say that using Macromedia Flash, PDF documents, etc will protect your images, but all of these can be circumvented by someone with minimal graphical or technical ability.