PDA

View Full Version : submit forms alternative

sftl99
07-26-2005, 04:50 PM
I have a form <form name="rmaform" method="post" action="print.php">
I want two "submit" buttons, one that goes to print.php and one that goes to email.php. Is this possible?

hourang
07-26-2005, 06:24 PM
something like this. theres many ways to do it.

<script>
function submitform(){
if (document.theform.submitbutton.value == "Submit"){
document.theform.action = "submit.php";
document.theform.submit();
} else {
document.theform.action = "print.php";
}
}
</script>

<form name="theform" method="POST" action="submit.php" onSubmit="submitform();">
<input type="submit" name="submitbutton" value="Submit">
<input type="submit" name="submitbutton" value="Print">
</form>

sftl99
07-26-2005, 09:55 PM
Thanks. That didn't work, perhaps because I'm calling a bunch of different functions, but I took your code and just made a button out of it:
<input name="submitbutton" type="button" class="sbttn" id="submitbutton" value="Email RMA" onClick="document.rmaform.action='rmaemail.php';document.rmaform.submit();">
It works. Thank you.

glenngv
07-27-2005, 06:26 AM
This is better:

<form name="theform" method="POST" action="print_or_email.php">
<input type="submit" name="btnPrint" value="Print" onclick="this.form.action='print.php'" />
<input type="submit" name="btnEmail" value="Email" onclick="this.form.action='email.php'" />
</form>

For javascript disabled browsers, print_or_email.php should redirect (including post data) to corresponding php based from the clicked button.

sftl99
07-27-2005, 04:07 PM
just logged on this morning and saw this. this DOES work better and more universally. thanks a ton!

hourang
07-27-2005, 04:41 PM
my bad, i thought you could use the same submit names in javascript. you could also do something like this quick script i wrote if you want to process different things after different buttons are pressed:

<script>
<!--
function submitform(strButton){
switch (strButton) {
case "submit":
//call and process validation
//other scripts can be put here
break;
case "print":
break;
}
}
// -->
</script>

<form name="theform" method="POST" action="submit.php">
<input type="submit" name="submitbutton" onClick="submitform('submit');" value="Submit">
<input type="submit" name="submitbutton2" onClick="submitform('print');" value="Print">
</form>

glenngv
07-28-2005, 03:40 AM
my bad, i thought you could use the same submit names in javascript.Generally you could do that on any form control. The result will be an array or collection of those controls with the same name.

<script>
<!--
function submitform(strButton){
switch (strButton) {
case "submit":
//call and process validation
//other scripts can be put here
break;
case "print":
break;
}
}
// -->
</script>

<form name="theform" method="POST" action="submit.php">
<input type="submit" name="submitbutton" onClick="submitform('submit');" value="Submit">
<input type="submit" name="submitbutton2" onClick="submitform('print');" value="Print">
</form>The submit button already submits the form, you should not call the submit() method anymore.