PDA

View Full Version : Need help!

The rock
07-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Hi guys!
Am new to the forum. I build a form with javascript in it. Now my boss says me that he needs to save the form in order to retrieve it later. Now is there any way i can do that? the form has to be in a server, so should i use some server side scripting language to connect to the database or is there a way to connect the form to a DB using Jscript itself?

The Rock

Brandoe85
07-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Firstly, Welcome here and read Posting Guidlines (http://www.codingforums.com/postguide.htm)
Secondly, Yes you are correct, you're going to need a server side language such as asp, php, perl ect...

sparks80
07-20-2005, 10:35 AM
You might want to check out the article at the URL below:

http://www.webreference.com/programming/javascript/j_s/column9/

The answer you have already been given is correct. Database uses of javascript are really only to validate and process data, and present it on a web page.

From personal experience I would strongly recommend the use of MySQL databases and PHP, which is efficient, reliable and easy to learn.

Kor
07-20-2005, 10:59 AM
From personal experience I would strongly recommend the use of MySQL databases and PHP, which is efficient, reliable and easy to learn.

...and freeware... :D

jbot
07-20-2005, 11:12 AM
should i use some server side scripting language to connect to the database or is there a way to connect the form to a DB using Jscript itself?

JScript can connect to any ODBC compliant DB using ActiveX. However, it is IE only and is not the most secure (unless you're experienced and know all the tricks-of-the-trade, which you evidently don't), and is not suitable for websites anyway, since it is Win IE only.

therefore you are bet using a serverside language, the choice of which depends on your setup. PHP and JSP are amongst the best since they're both cross-platform, and both will work with SQL Server or MySQL, two of the most popular RDBMSes around.

The rock
07-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Thank you guys for your help. I think I will take on Php and MySQL for my project.