PDA

View Full Version : window attribs

CowboyInMe
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Howdy yall, i was looking over HTML DOM and i was able to set certin attributes of a pop-up window, however i would like to control attributes of the main window.

For instance, I would like to turn off the scrollbars and not have a toolbar in the window. I couldnt find anything for the main window in DOM so i thought maybe its not DOM at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated, -Cowboy

chilipie
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Why do you want to do this? Sounds a bit suspicious, turning tool bars off... :rolleyes:

Roy Sinclair
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Definitely suspicious. Regardless though, unless you're talking IE on the local box changing the "chrome" of any existing window is not allowed.

CowboyInMe
Nov 17th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Believe me, if i wanted to do anything shady, i wouldnt use HTML or Javascript...

What we are trying to do is hide the source code to our website. We have a plain blank page with an <iframe> that covers the whole page. In the inline frame is our site, so when you navagate through, you only change the frame. not the actual window. Right click is disabled in the iframe. So that leaves view>>source as their alternative, which if we eliminate the toolbar, they can't do that.

I know there is another way to get the source, but this is a closed audiance and they wont be able to figure that out.

Are you guys telling me that the only way to control the appearance of the browser is to pop it open in another window? I've done that before but i assumed if you can control a pop up appearance then you can control the main window.

Roy Sinclair
Nov 17th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Yep, if you want to change the "Chrome" you must open your own new window with the desired chrome. Since all the "phishing" started we've become a lot more suspicious of requests that look like attempts to hide the user's expected interface.

With a closed audience you've got a better chance of retaining control but the newest browsers may not let you go that far.

CowboyInMe
Nov 17th, 2004, 10:55 PM
ok, thanks Roy, thats the way we'll go then.

I appreciate it