PDA

View Full Version : POST method action email error in IE5.5 windows NT

Lisawynn
Aug 31st, 2004, 06:44 PM
Hi. I have a form that works fine in Windows XP IE6.0. The form contains a POST method that emails the form information when the submit button is clicked by the user. The email is sent automatically and contains all of the information contained in each of the form fields. For example, the email contains:

Username:=test
UserEmail:=test
WorkLocation:=test
UserTelephone:=test
1. Who recorded Reach Out I'll Be There in 1966=test
2. Lord we don't need another mountain:=test
3. It's a song about love:=test
4. Hey Jude - flip side:=test
Submit=Submit to test

I don't know why but it will not work in IE 5.5 with Windows NT. We have tried both and the same page works in Windows XP with IE 6.0 but not in Windows NT. What happens in the latter is when the submit button is clicked, an email opens with the addressee information inserted but the email is blank so the form is not passing any of the information through to the email and is also not being sent automatically. I am not even sure where the problem is being created. Can anyone provide any insight as to why this might be happening? Thanks for your assistance.

Roy Sinclair
Aug 31st, 2004, 08:36 PM
I would say that the EMAIL program being used on the NT system isn't accepting the data from the form for some reason. What email program is it?

Lisawynn
Sep 1st, 2004, 04:09 PM
Hi Roy. We are using Outlook 97 for the NT (and Outlook 2002 for the XP). The page was created in FrontPage2002. When you attempt to edit the page properties of the submit button, a message pops up which indicates:

This form is being created on a Disk-Based Web or the FrontPage Server Extensions have not been configured to send e-mail. Please direct your system administrator or Internet Service Provider to the instructions in "Setting up E-mail Options on Windows" or "Setting Up E-mail Options on UNIX" in the Server Extensions Resource Kit. If you do not have the Server Extension Resource Kit, you can find it at:
http://www.microsoft.com/frontpage/wpp/serk.
Would you like to remove the e-mail recipient?

BUT the server extensions are configured so we are trying to determine what the issue might be. As I said, it is working fine in XP but in the NT environment, we are having some difficulty. Any suggestions?

Roy Sinclair
Sep 1st, 2004, 09:58 PM
If you edit the pages using direct file references to the pages (like say c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ourapp\thepage.htm) instead of using a URL to edit (http://ourserver/ourapp/thepage.htm) then Frontpage will display those sorts of unhelpful messages.

That's assuming the form on your page was set up using a "mailto:" address in the "action", if that's not the case then we're looking at an entirely different kind of problem.