PDA

View Full Version : wrap: physical vs. virtual, etc

canadianjameson
Aug 3rd, 2004, 10:14 PM
if i wanted a textarea submission to display in a table, but have it wrap properly if the table is ... say 70% of the page, what wrap would i use?

right now it wraps fine in the textarea... just when the form submits and it displays a success page with the entered info... it displays it all in one line :(

currently i have the textarea set to wrap="virtual"

any ideas?

ClubCosmic
Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:04 PM
i had that same problem but i used the <p> or <br> tag in the text area to get it to break on a new line. If other people are filling it out and don't know perhas there is a maximum character function that will create a line break automatically. good luck :cool:

canadianjameson
Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:29 PM
if the users hit the enter button when filling out the textarea of the form... how can i control <P> versus <br>?

]|V|[agnus
Aug 4th, 2004, 02:37 AM
I don't think wrapping is your issue. You need to convert the carriage returns into HTML. Easiest route would be to convert each carriage return into a <br />, but then if you're anal about semantics, you run into a very ugly looking block of text. If you have the option of server-side manipulation, then I'm sure there are functions in the various languages to help facilitate this type of thing. ColdFusion, for instance, has a very handy ParagraphFormat() function which returns a block of text properly wrapped in <p></p> tags where appropriate.

canadianjameson
Aug 4th, 2004, 07:56 PM
i have a thread going in the PHP forum.

thanks magnus

]|V|[agnus
Aug 4th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Fo' sho'! :thumbsup:

canadianjameson
Aug 4th, 2004, 08:58 PM
w3rd :D