PDA

View Full Version : scrolling text in NS6

boggly
Aug 13th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Basically I have an older script that scolls text in a marquee fashion for IE and NS 4.x in an iframe and ilayer combo. Unfortunately the same script doesn't work in NS 6 or any of the other new DOM compliant browsers. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to achieve the same effect (that hopefully isn't too convoluted) in these newer DOM compliant browsers.

TIA,
boggly

jkd
Aug 13th, 2002, 05:37 PM
The general idea is still the same. Have a container layer, then a child layer moving in one direction.

Mozilla recently incorporated <marquee> into the 1.1 branch (despite a LOT of heat - it was argued that it was required to be a successful browser in the Asian world, where the most popular sites use it as part of their layout, but a lot of people - including me - still thought otherwise), so in the next 1.1 branch release, you'll find that in it.
I am unsure of when Netscape will release a 1.1 branch based browser. NS7 PR was based on 1.0 RC2, so NS7 will probably be on the 1.0.1 release...

Until then, you can find XBL emulation of <marquee> at WebFX.eae.net, which emulates <marquee> in older Gecko-based browsers, including NS6.