PDA

View Full Version : a good source of information for building a responsive web site?

gdlo
May 14th, 2016, 12:27 AM
i'm into finding a good webpage that will teach me that with examples or perhaps even templates...

i've found few but not sure which to choose.

if you can assist on that i will glad.

gdlo
May 14th, 2016, 08:14 PM
can't you answer me? :(

sunfighter
May 15th, 2016, 05:14 PM
W3Schools Online Web Tutorials (http://www.w3schools.com/)
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/

MikeK
May 16th, 2016, 03:24 AM
There are many good sources to find how to "PROPERLY" design responsive websites.

What exactly are you looking to design for? There are many different platforms for responsive design.

Are you looking to design a website that support tablets and phones also, or build an app for a phone, tablet, etc.

How deep are your skills already? Are you good at HTML and CSS. Do you understand how media Queries work in CSS. Are you looking for a dynamic site or a static site?

The reason I ask these questions is to give you an example of how open ended your question is. To just ask where can find a template on responsive design or a responsive design page of information is not a realistic question. That could be why your not getting good responses.

Give a little background in your question. Point out what you are trying to do, and to what audience and you would probably have a lot more luck in the responses you receive.

To start out, as SunFighter said:

1. Go the W3C site and start reading about media queries and how they work in CSS.
2. Learn what the different size screens that you will be writing to for your app.
3. Brush up on your CSS and the new elements and properties available in CSS3, many of those pertain to responsive design. Focus on the new Grid System
4. Understand that a lot of the new properties are not supported across all browsers, so understand fall back methods for older browsers.
5. Look at some of the available frameworks for responsive design, BootStrap, 1140, Golden Grid, Titan, Lese Framework 4, Toast, Ingrid, 906 Grid System, Skeleton, etc. This only names a few that are available.

What I am trying to explain GD, it is not as simple as reading a page, or getting a template.

You can PM me if you need some additional starting points.

I hope this helps to get you started.

Mike

PreciousReed
May 17th, 2016, 09:37 PM
You can check out codeacademy.com, lynda.com and w3schools.com. You might also want to learn more about bootstrap if you want to make a responsive website.

Line9Inline
May 20th, 2016, 06:27 PM
I useTreehouse it's $25.00 a month but I think it's worth it.