PDA

View Full Version : Help with old Java Script

AussieTuca
Nov 18th, 2014, 01:46 AM
:oHi guys,

Though I have some knowledge in computers I am totally inept when dealing with programming of any kind so, I need your help with this issue.

I have a little script written by Robert Rimes Perry a long, long time ago, probably in another galaxy. Mr. Perry stopped developing the script and the last version he, himself emailed me many years ago. It is called Favorites Home Page and creates a homepage.html file with your favorites, allowing customization in every sense including a background picture. Better than many online bookmarks sites.

I have been using this script for many years but recently it stopped liking Internet Explorer, Chrome or Firefox. Avant Browser and Internet Explorer (from 8 above, I have the V 11) and, after adjusting the browser compatibility in the settings, they accept the page above but when opening the browser the message - "This page requires Internet Explorer 6.0 and above" comes up and after a second retry it is OK.

With Firefox, Chrome or any other browser it does not load at all. I can't figure out why. I am attaching a homepageModified.html file that I created with some of my favorites for your perusal and the Gods willing, some suggestions re the issue and, who knows, some fixing so I could open the page with any browser without being pestered by that error message.

Would someone out there please, please have a look at this? I will be eternally grateful for your help.

Cheers!

AussieTuca
Nov 18th, 2014, 01:49 AM
Hi again,
I forgot to say that if someone need the original program (Favorites Homepage) please let me know and I will be glad to send it. It is a freeware program.

Clock Out
Nov 22nd, 2014, 02:48 PM
Hope this helps.

AussieTuca
Nov 27th, 2014, 04:27 AM
Hope this helps.

Hi Clock Out,

Thanks and sorry for the delay in replying. I was away...

Yes, that would be the result I wanted however, this script will not allow me to do anything (like change the background pictures, colors, etc.) but access the links. You see, if I have to generate a new homepage.html it will be as the original script intended it to be. Right now, my Favorites are already different from those when that page was created.

I thank you for your efforts If you want to take the challenge, let me know and I will email you the original file to install and analyse the scripts that create the final Homepage.html.

Cheers mate!

Old Pedant
Nov 27th, 2014, 04:53 AM
Instead of attaching zip files (which require us to download them and then unzip them, and who isn't wary of zip files nowadays?), either attach the HTML file itself *OR* just paste the code into the forum (between [code] and [ /code] tags please!) *OR* give us a LIVE URL to look at (by far the best option). You can give the URL a weird name ("codingForumsZZ8831.html" ??) so that it won't be discovered accidentally.

Old Pedant
Nov 27th, 2014, 07:22 AM
I actually did unzip your file and easily fixed it to get rid of the MSIE version junk. But as you say, that code is pretty useless since it is just static HTML (except for changing colors, etc., that is; but that's pretty useless). Why did you bother to post it? I see nothing in there that allows you to add new categories, sub-categories, line items.

How *DO* you add such things? Surely not by hand modifying the HTML?? If so, what's the value of the JS code?

Most of the JS code works, but there's a lot of the HTML that is both horribly old and partially invalid in the modern world.

It just looks way over-complicated for what it does, to me. Heck, it has all this stuff about colors but it doesn't have a color picker, for example.

Yes, of course we need the original version if it does more than this.

Clock Out
Nov 29th, 2014, 02:01 PM
So there's another program that actually generates this HTML document?

Old Pedant
Nov 29th, 2014, 10:26 PM
I would sure hope so, else why bother?

But you *COULD* do this by allowing the user to add to any category or subcategory (or even add a new top-level category). You could just store the information in cookies (though with the 4KB limit on cookies that's not appealing) or local storage (which didn't exist when that code was written). Of course, that only works on one machine in one browser, but that's probably adequate for the purpose this seems intended for. It's basically a way to organize your "favorites". But, then, I don't see the value in that since I can do that on my own with any browser (even MSIE 5 and I think MSIE 4 had this capability).