PDA

View Full Version : can't open a js file for quiz

sstalpo
Sep 6th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Hello.. helpful others who I greatly appreciate. *smile*

I have downloaded three files to run a .js multiple choice quiz from javascriptkit.com. Here is the script download page: http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/cut180.shtml

The instructions said of the three files:
1. popquiz.htm
(Edit this file to change the questions on the page to your own. View source for more information)
2. results.htm
(Page containing the results/grades. Not necessary to edit)
3. quizconfig.js
(Edit this file to change the solutions to your own)

Now I did download the zip file.
I extracted the three files into their own folder.
I can open the the popquiz.htm file.
But I cannot open the quizconfig.js file.

I even got a 'this is not a valid file' error at one point..but mostly just nothing happens. It looks valid..I'm confused.

Does anyone has any ideas as to what could be up? I do appreciate any and all help. I would love to use this script for a birthday project for a friend's 40th. *smile*

Ta! :-)

liorean
Sep 6th, 2003, 10:34 AM
I assume you've tried to opened it by double clicking it? Instead of doing that open your text editor of choice (notepad will do) and then open the file from the text editor. Then you can edit the file.

(By default, the WScript engine tries to run .js files, which isn't what you want to do. You can change the default program to your text editor if you want.)

sstalpo
Sep 6th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Ah..that makes sense.

I did try to open it using Front page.. which it didnt'. But that could be Front Page which .. yes.. but I got it for free. ;-)

I will use notepad though.

THANK YOU! I'll let you know how it turns out. Bless you.

sstalpo
Sep 6th, 2003, 10:40 AM
YES!! Happy dance.. Liorean. I owe you one!

THANK YOU!!!!

You made one insomniac with a mission very happy. *hug*