PDA

View Full Version : advanced back button

commentator
Sep 4th, 2003, 06:36 PM
For a frame page I need a script to check what x in history.go(-x) is.
The problem is this:
I have a frame page with a frame with navigation, a frame with the name "header" and a frame content
when I click in content the header frame is update with a onload script in the content frame loaded page.
When I click there on next and again next and then want to go back 1 time there's nop problem. But when I want 2 times back then I have to fill in history.go(-3) but know I want a script for checking it so I don't have the problem

Anyone who know this?

brothercake
Sep 5th, 2003, 03:27 AM
Sorry - it's not possible to extract information from the history object, for security reasons.

You could probably track internal history changes yourself by getting each page to update a session variable or cookie, but I suggest you'd be much better off abandoning your frameset altogether - you don't really need a frameset.

commentator
Sep 14th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by brothercake
Sorry - it's not possible to extract information from the history object, for security reasons.

You could probably track internal history changes yourself by getting each page to update a session variable or cookie, but I suggest you'd be much better off abandoning your frameset altogether - you don't really need a frameset.

you can do history.go('Page title')
so you can read it out.

But this is when you know the title. Know I don't know the title but I know that the title isn't 'header'

Kor
Sep 14th, 2003, 11:38 AM
You can try a trick... build another frame, make it invisible (css, or whichever) on wich you can "store" some values whenever you open something in that main frame (according to the different pages you are loading in main frame). Use scripts (if statesment somehow) to parse parent or child values from parent-child child-parent.

I think you can use later those values to indetify which page was go(-3) or which was the x in go(-x) when a certain page was loaded.

I don't know... It is a neboulos judgemnet, even to me, but I feel it could work, somehow... I'll think about