PDA

View Full Version : Javascript error

wap3
Aug 24th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Hi guys,

I have this website www.universaltools.co.uk (http://www.universaltools.co.uk) which is suddenly generating a javascript error when I view it in AOL (IE and netscape etc seem fine still)

Anyway it never did this before so it is confusing me. I have re-installed AOL to make sure it wasnt the browser going wobbly but it still does it.

Could somebody with AOL take a look and see if they get the error. Also if u see what the problem is perhaps u could let me know save me some trouble finding it.

Thanks

:confused: :thumbsup:

Vincent Puglia
Aug 24th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Hi wap,

Just visited with AOL 8.0 -- no problem on the initial screen and the A-Z link. Where is your error?

Vinny

wap3
Aug 27th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Hi sorry have not had chance to look at your reply.

Anyway thats weird I am using AOL 7.0 and I get the error on all the pages I look at.

It says 'menu' is undefined which is todo with the menus. I just dont get why it was fine in other browsers and not this one.

Does anyone else have AOL ? Do u get this error ?

Thanks

:thumbsup:

Vincent Puglia
Aug 28th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Hi,

Just went through it again -- various pages, selection lists, menu choices -- no problem. (and I'm supposed to reinstall my aol -- something about the Bart folder causing system response errors -- so, it just might be your version.

What line is your error on? And what does it say?

Vinny

wap3
Aug 28th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Hi,

It says it is on line 5 char 3 and the error message is 'menu is undefined' ?

Weird this is ?

:p :confused:

Vincent Puglia
Aug 28th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Hi wap,

Why are the following includes encoded (%20)????? Try replacing them with actual spaces and see what happens. Also check the spelling of the path, especially the caps.

If that doesn't work,
could you post the first few lines of the following scripts:

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="Js%20Scripts/univ_menu.js"></script>
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="Js%20Scripts/menu_var.js"></script>

Vinny

Vinny

Choopernickel
Aug 28th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Vinny, if spaces aren't escaped to %20, browsers other than IE typically will read the HTTP request as ending at the space, thus requesting
http://www.universaltools.co.uk/Js

This obviously does not bode well. Escaping special characters (especially space) is pretty near mandatory - if you have folders or files with special characters in their names. The best solution is to rename the folder(s) or file(s) so it contains no special characters, then correct all references to the file(s in the folder[s]) in any other file(s) on the site.

Vincent Puglia
Aug 28th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Hi,

Since I normally browse with an IE or compatible browser and create and code pathnames without spaces, I never really noticed.

So...wap: do as he says -- rename your folder and see if you still get the error.

Vinny