PDA

View Full Version : Limit amount enterable in a ContentEditable DIV

aspdotnetguy
Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:18 PM
Hello,

I am looking for a way to gracefully limit the amount that can be typed in a contentEditable DIV that I am using for text editor, I tried a few things

1: Setting ContentEditable to false when the user gets to XXX Chars but this is not graceful as they can not do anything now

2: Doing a pop up when they get to XXX chars but this is ugly as every time they hit a key owhen > XXX Chars they are going to get a pop-up

3: Waiting tell they try and submit and then telling them this is ugly as it seems a little late

What I am wondering is if there is a way to get it to act like a "textbox" where the users just cant type anymore? It is for IE 6.0 only as it for an Intranet.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance,

Lyndon

caldasgsm
Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:43 PM
<div onkeypress="return (this.innerText.length >= 256 ? false : true )"

maybe something like this???

aspdotnetguy
Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:50 PM
Perfect,

I will try and implement something like that, is there a way to allow the user to use the backspace, home, end, shift key, etc still though? I haven't used to mayn keyevents before.

This is so that if a user typed 50 chars and realized they have reached the maximum, they could take a out a work from a middle and ad an important word, just like a normal text box.

I think this solution has the potential to funciton just like this, I don't know if htere is a way to detect the backspace key though? Any more information would be appreciated.

Or would a key press of backspace take it to 256-1 which 255 and allow it? Hmm I guess I should try it, I am just waiting for my permissions on the server to be enabled again, I will try it and let you know as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks

aspdotnetguy
Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:01 PM
:

jkd
Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by caldasgsm
<div onkeypress="return (this.innerText.length >= 256 ? false : true )"

maybe something like this???

Why the need for the ternary operator? All comparison operators return a boolean anyway:

onkeypress="return (this.innerText.length <= 256)"

aspdotnetguy
Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:55 PM
Problem solved,

Thakn you for the solution gentlemen :)

caldasgsm
Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:08 AM
All comparison operators return a boolean anyway:

that's cool I never had tough of that:o