PDA

View Full Version : Div disappears in IE8 on hover over other elements

xylem
Dec 21st, 2011, 06:38 PM
Hi there,

I am having a strange problem which only shows up in IE8 (or IE9 in Compatibility Mode.)

The page http://ericplumb.dreamhosters.com/cms/ulcerative-colitis ought to have a grid of white squares underneath the lower gray bar ("13 categories"). Its id is "#subclusters", and it shows up fine in FF or Chrome but doesn't load in IE8.

I can get it to show up by setting any CSS property on it (even an innocuous one like margin: 1px) using a Javascript onload or the IE developer tools, but as soon as I hover over any of the element with a :hover selector (Questions & Answers, Treatment Options Overview, 13 Categories) it disappears again. If it weren't for this oddity I would accept the Javascript hack and move on.

I've searched around the Web to find a solution but all the IE bugs related to disappearing elements seem to be related to position: absolute or hasLayout, nothing on an element disappering on hover over another element.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks much,
Eric

Sammy12
Dec 21st, 2011, 07:29 PM
Welcome to the forums xylem!

On my computer, the blocks show up fine in ie8, however they disappear after a while for some reason. I would say it really doesn't matter, but my only suggestion would be to try and set a width in px to the td's instead of %. You could also try testing without using :first-child (you had margin-left: 0). Also take note that padding: 20px; on the td isn't working in ie8. I'm pretty sure cellpadding: ; is still recommended, though I don't use tables myself. I think if you didn't use tables for these, you wouldn't have a problem.

sorry, that's all I got,
Sammy12

xylem
Dec 21st, 2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks Sammy. Switching from tables did the trick.