PDA

View Full Version : Getting started on the right foot

Rockworthy
Dec 19th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Hello forum! I am looking seriously at getting started as a web developer. For now, I just want to be able to start making web pages for myself and friends, so we can try out various entrepreneurial ideas (which always need a webpage first), I want to learn eMarketing, etc. my question is what to learn in order to teach myself the important stuff first, and not have to re-learn it later. I've noticed that in the web devo world, you're nobody unless you know HTML5 and CSS3. Well I could pick up a book on using "regular" HTML or XHTML, but I want to be learning HTML5 WHILE I learn HTML, not learn it afterwards, you know? I guess my question is this: Does a brand new web developer learning from scratch need to worry about learning HTML5 stuff at the same time as learning XHTML/HTML?

teedoff
Dec 19th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Learn html period first. HTML5 is just a continuation of html language with some added tags. Even so, html5 is still not fully supported yet and will probably be another year maybe two before it is.

There's a sticky at the top of this forum that lists tons of resources to learn from.

wolfenr
Dec 19th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I too am on a similar learning route though I may be a bit ahead of you so my list started off with HTML and CSS then I went off on the (not recommended) tangent of Flash and ActionScript before I discovered I should have been learning JavaScript. My next steps are PHP and MySQL.

teedoff
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Personally, I recommend learning server side langauge after you have a pretty good understanding of html/css.

Javascript is nice and should be added, but most sites built today rely on dynamic content. Something you MUST use server sides for. Along with database and SQL as well.

My point is, you dont need js to built ANY webpage. So that to me would be not quite as important in the scheme off things.

Rockworthy
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the info.