PDA

View Full Version : CSS vs CSS3 formal list?

alykins
Dec 19th, 2011, 02:40 AM
I am trying to put together a document (a work in progress) of various snips of code ranging from client side back to serverside scripts and even DB stuff... What I am looking for is a current/accurate list of the various CSS properties that are not obsolete and also a verifiable list of what is CSS3. Please no w3schools because this is where I am coming across the "problem"
So here is a prime example of what I am trying to get info for (and why I do not want to use w3schools)..
Opacity:
according to w3schools it is CSS3... I thought however that it was older CSS that was now not being supported (this could of coarse be my misinterpretation- anyways) w3.org doesn't really specify "what" it os (or at least I could not find it- fell under CSS Color Module (http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#transparency) ... this includes CSS3 and CSS2 with no indicator as to what is specifically CSS2/CSS3...

anyways not looking for opacity per se, looking for all and would like a more reliable source-

Kor
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Is this an academical issue? In fact, what really matters is only if various browsers have or have not implemented various CSS selectors, rules properties, values ... no matter if those are CSS1 or CSS2 or CSS3. Who cares about the CSS exact version? Anyway, browsers do not entirely follow any of the CSS versions, so that a list of what is obsolete and what is not is of no practical use.

Maybe you should handle the problem from the other side of the stick: what CSS selectors, rules, properties do work, in which browsers. In other words, the cross-browser compatibility. A good resource of CSS (2, 3) - an not only CSS - compatibilities:

http://www.quirksmode.org/compatibility.html

alykins
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:57 PM
not really an academic issue... I am assembling a "library" ref document for myself with various examples/explanations... As I move farther and farther from client side scripting I am finding that I am forgetting small things or "best practices" and I wanted to have a reference... it is going to be broken down into sections and will mainly be heavy in C# and Java but I wanted to have my "good 'ol" html/CSS section as well... so for example the HTML section mainly will have listings of which elements are block and which are inline (naturally)- things like that... CSS will have things like background:color|url()|repeat|position; things like that... whereas my server-side scripts will have entire code snippet "libraries"... essentially I want to have my own little ref lib

Jacobhine
Jan 16th, 2012, 12:17 PM
CSS3 is upgrade version of the CSS. CSS3 include those features which are remaining in the CSS and CSS2. You can create webpage with perfect pixels quicker using CSS3 which is more perfect than CSS. CSS3 animations allow you to create simple animations without use of any JavaScript or flash. CSS3 is support by many browsers so designers can create browser compatible website design with the use of CSS3.