PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic websites / work environment

joliett89
Oct 19th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I want to get into making some websites (LAMP, HTTP, CSS, JavaScript) and I am wondering what would be the best working enivronment, software that can be used. I was looking at Dreamweaver and some people actually recommend it, but I dont think it is that good. I am at something like this right now:

Xampp
Eclipse (with PHP and JavaScript); I know there are plugins etc, but I did not get to that yet...
Firebug, Chrome and IE Developer Tools
(Notepad++)

I just discovered the tools and these are very powerful (like executing a JavaScript code in real time line by line, watching the variables etc). Working with these tools can make a whole lot of a difference, if you know what I mean. Chrome is good for CSS also.

I also heard Microsoft's Visual Studio Express few times, but I did not look at this one at all.

I am just wondering what are the other programs / tools software that can be useful like that etc (again, I am talking about building dynamic websites only: Unix / Linux, PHP, MySQL, HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript). There are also good websites out there, like website optimization, keywords, traffic rankings etc, that can make a lot of a difference right from the start also...

Thank you in advance for any info.

chris0
Oct 19th, 2011, 04:22 PM
netbeans is good for writing php/html/javascript/sql scripts

visual studio is an ide for C# and VB.net ,
it is a very powerful tool that you can use to debug, and run the code line by line

JV-
Oct 19th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I've been using Netbeans for years. It works well. I have several different work stations with different operating systems and since Netbeans runs on Java, I can enjoy the same work environment everywhere.

I have used Eclipse in the past, but switched to Netbeans because it is better with memory management and just feels less sluggish.

hinch
Oct 19th, 2011, 04:51 PM
i use notepad++ at work, netbeans at home and dreamweaver else where.

out of all the IDE's dreamweaver is argueably the best mostly because of its code completion/suggestion

oddities with things like notepad++ where it suggests an item but you have to press enter (adding a new line) or click on the suggestion to actually input it where as in dreamweaver when it suggests something all you do is press space as you normally would and it auto completes it correctly for you etc.

aside from that :

Wamp server (google it) I always feel is better than xampp
Firefox + firebug + web developer console + seo doctor is always good