View Full Version : Very odd error... user is getting "?/div>" on their screen.

Jul 19th, 2002, 02:34 PM
I have a ery odd error... one of my users is getting "?/div>" on their screen. My elements are almost all in div's and are position:absolute. This user is using IE 5.5 and she is getting these odd "?/div>"'s and half of my elements are pushed way down on the screen instead of where I put them.
Has anyone run into anything like this before?
Thanks in advance,

Jul 19th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Are you sure all the <div>s are correctly nested? Open the page in an HTML editor that highlights incorrectly nested tags so you can be sure. Dreamweaver is good for this.

Jul 19th, 2002, 03:29 PM
they arnt nested at all and are absolutly positioned.

<div id="bullet1"></div>
<div id="block_Room1"><a href="#" onClick="roomChange('1')" class="catlink">180 Bleeker St., Studio Apt.</a></div>


Jul 19th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Hi msimmons,
seeing a "?/div>" on the screen simply means there's a "?/div>" in the code :)
A typo...

Jul 19th, 2002, 04:19 PM
nope. I know this dosen't make any sense at all. This is part of a web application and it works for every one else world wide except for this one person in NY. I have go through all her settings that I can think of to make her machine identical to mine (apart from the fact I am on NT4.0 and she is win98). I do not get the ?/div> yet she does... I thought she was hollousinating [sic] but this morning she sent me a screen shot of it.

Jul 19th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Msimmons, could you post a link to the page where this occuring so we could have a look?

Jul 19th, 2002, 05:38 PM
It is a high security application but after lunch I will try to replicate the area that is causeing the problem.

Quiet Storm
Jul 19th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by msimmons
180 Bleeker St., Studio Apt.

That's funny!

There's only one 180 Bleeker Street - Newark, NJ!

:D I used to live in NJ.

Jul 19th, 2002, 07:03 PM
It's fixed but I do not know what they did. I got a tech from up there to look at her browser and walk through the settings. He said that he turned Java Logging on and that fixed it but that shoulden't have had any affect... My assumption is that he did something else at the same time.
The important thing is that it works now :)
Thanks all,

Jul 19th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Certain firewalls do have a few bugs where they add erroneous characters into the page, or remove a bracket here or there (ZAP does it quite often in certain environments), and I've had to deal with more than a few people with this problem...always something to be aware of.