PDA

View Full Version : Fetching new posts from a blog to display on website

ewaldhew
Jan 22nd, 2011, 11:08 AM
Hi, I'm new here.

Just need to know a way to somehow get new posts from a blog, then post those new posts onto another website of mine.

Basically, the purpose of the website is to provide updates for a certain group of people. However, to update it, I have to go through the server admin, which is massively troublesome since I'll be updating rather frequently. So I would appreciate some help if this is possible.

quartzy
Jan 22nd, 2011, 01:35 PM
Maybe you could try a RSS feed from the blog.

ewaldhew
Jan 26th, 2011, 09:50 AM
hi.

thanks for the reply, but will the rss be able to display the entire post or just the heading? Also, is it possible to disable the links back to the blog?

Thanks.

venegal
Jan 26th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Since the blog also belongs to you, you can design the feed any way you like.

Should it not belong to you, you could ask the owner if he would be kind enough to provide such a feed.

Otherwise you're just stealing content.

ewaldhew
Jan 26th, 2011, 04:20 PM
@venegal: i didnt quite get what you mean by 'designing the feed any way I like'. as in, doesnt the blogging service provide the feed? I'm not sure if i can customise that.

and yes, the blog also belongs to me. The only reason why i need to do this is because i need the updates on the same domain as the rest of the website, which i have previously stated, is rather troublesome since i have to go through the server admin and i'll be updating probably twice a week.

also, if possible i would want to remove any links back to the blog as this may distract the target audience from the rest of the content on the site.

Thanks.

venegal
Jan 26th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Ah ok, I thought if it were your blog, you would host it yourself and could do with it what you want.

If the blogging service doesn't provide a full message feed, you are probably going to have to resort to a messier solution like screen scraping. Or, of course, just get yourself a copy of wordpress and start to host it yourself.

ewaldhew
Jan 27th, 2011, 10:59 AM
okay, thanks for the advice. However, there are still some things which i am unclear of.

correct me if I'm wrong, but do i have to update the rss manually, if I were to host the blog myself? and if not, how do I customise the feed (mainly to disable links, as mentioned above.)

Thanks again for your help.

venegal
Jan 27th, 2011, 11:25 AM
No, you don't have to update the RSS manually. RSS is just XML, so just like you write your HTML template which will be autofilled with your content, you write your RSS template; there's really no difference, they are both just templates.

Of course, if you write your RSS template yourself, you can customize it any way you like. If inside the blog posts there are links you don't want, you can just get rid of them before output (using preg_replace or something).

Also, if you decide to use Wordpress, there's a good probability that there's already a plugin that does exactly what you want.

ewaldhew
Jan 27th, 2011, 01:55 PM
ok thanks. i'll try it out and see what i can do. meanwhile, really thanks for your help.