PDA

View Full Version : IE vs. Firefox Differences?

WorldVision
Jan 14th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Alright I have a few questions regarding the differences I'm seeing across browsers in a site I've built. Overall a pretty simple wordpress layout.

In Firefox the site looks exactly how I'd want it to, but in IE its not the case. Maybe you guys can help provide me some direction. I've spent the greater part of today working on it...

- Up to IE 8 (Not sure about 9) the background is two different shades. I want it to be the darker one.

- Up to IE 8 (Not sure about 9) the "Contact" email address image has a different background color for some reason?

- In IE 6 png images with transparent backgrounds don't work. Sorry I'm not sure specifically what they are called.

Any sort of direction you guys could provide would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Here is the CSS file...

tracknut
Jan 14th, 2011, 03:54 AM
- Up to IE 8 (Not sure about 9) the background is two different shades. I want it to be the darker one.

- Up to IE 8 (Not sure about 9) the "Contact" email address image has a different background color for some reason?

These two are caused by your mixing and matching .gif, .png, and #rrggbb methods of defining your background colors. They won't all match, I'm afraid. Even in FF, I see the differences in your background color. So for each of these, pick one and stick with it. Where it's a solid color like you have, you might as well use #rrggbb, though if you're stuck requiring png transparency, you'll want to use png for all.

- In IE 6 png images with transparent backgrounds don't work. Sorry I'm not sure specifically what they are called.

Right, IE6 doesn't support png transparency. There's a JS routine that will make transparency work in IE6, you might google for that.

Dave

Eldar
Jan 14th, 2011, 06:49 AM
<!--[if lte IE 6>appropriate code here<![endif]--> Will work great for
issues that only show up on one browser or one version. Great for
Compatibility issues and especially useful for IE 6 due to it's general
incompatibility with multiple CSS/HTML tags.