PDA

View Full Version : First Finished Design/Coding

JJackson
Sep 24th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I've always been interested in designing and coding Web sites. But it wasn't until recently that I actually made an attempt at learning. This is my first design and it took me about a day to finish the majority of it, and a week to get it looking the way I wanted. It also took me about a week to code it, because I had to change up some of my code with the addition of new images from the PSD.

www.freelancejohn.com

What do you think? How does the code look? And what about the design?

Note: This is only the main page -- I will be developing the rest of it this weekend.

Doctor_Varney
Sep 24th, 2010, 04:18 AM
It's alright and you seem to have some modicum of horizontal scaling going on but I would suggest using em measurements for the heights of DIV boxes so that your boxes can scale as users alter their text sizes.

I think it's a little too on the big side. You've got to think how this will look in smaller screen resolutions. I am viewing in both 1280x1024 and 1024x768, which is fairly common but there may still be those viewing in something like 800x600 - and to me, it appears rather 'chunky' and a bit 'second generation'. Your colour-scheming seems a little unconsidered and comes across a bit amateurish.

These are things you should know well before calling yourself a "freelance web designer" and using terms like: "High quality". I'm sure the title is arbitrary and your first attempt is great, (much better than mine was!) Your sense of space is rather good, I must say - and I like the way you have handled your graphics - but you still need to spend time developing your artistic/design side.

Otherwise - a great start - so DO stick at it... :thumbsup:

Oh - and welcome to the Coding Forums! :)

Dr. V

JJackson
Sep 24th, 2010, 05:19 AM
It's alright and you seem to have some modicum of horizontal scaling going on but I would suggest using em measurements for the heights of DIV boxes so that your boxes can scale as users alter their text sizes.

I think it's a little too on the big side. You've got to think how this will look in smaller screen resolutions. I am viewing in both 1280x1024 and 1024x768, which is fairly common but there may still be those viewing in something like 800x600 - and to me, it appears rather 'chunky' and a bit 'second generation'. Your colour-scheming seems a little unconsidered and comes across a bit amateurish.

These are things you should know well before calling yourself a "freelance web designer" and using terms like: "High quality". I'm sure the title is arbitrary and your first attempt is great, (much better than mine was!) Your sense of space is rather good, I must say - and I like the way you have handled your graphics - but you still need to spend time developing your artistic/design side.

Otherwise - a great start - so DO stick at it... :thumbsup:

Oh - and welcome to the Coding Forums! :)

Dr. V

Everything you see on the site, including the title, is dummy text. I don't plan to sell design services for a few more months.

Thanks for the feedback! :)