PDA

View Full Version : Font size and other problems with my website in ie

jdon1127
Sep 13th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I recently started a website for fun and have been trying to learn more about the html and other coding procedures. I developed it using wordpress in Firefox but for some reason when I go to IE ...some words are missing....and others are large and off the page. The website is http://www.1000miserablethings.com. If you open it in ie you can see what I am talking about. I also googled around a bit for the answer but no luck.

If anyone knows a quick fix please let me know.

Thanks for your help in advance

SB65
Sep 13th, 2010, 03:39 PM
It's almost certainly because you've not closed a tag properly. The validator lists a lot of errors (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=1000miserablethings.com&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0) for your site - work through these and IE may well start behaving itself.

jdon1127
Sep 13th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I see in the validator that there are a lot of errors. Do I proceed to go through all 197 and fix each one? Is there an easier way to go about this? And if not, will this most likely fix the problem?

SB65
Sep 13th, 2010, 03:54 PM
It may not be quite as bad as it looks and you may well find that one fix removes more than one error - the first two will be fixed by sorting out the class on the body, for instance.

If you're looking for a quick fix to your font-size, then look for tags that aren't closed, eg:

Error Line 161, Column 444: end tag for "h2" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified

There isn't an easy way if you want your site to behave consistently across different browsers.

CSSQuest
Sep 13th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Welcome to the world of web development :P Site building would be easy if it wasn't for cross-browser/cross-platform differences.

If you're using Dreamweaver, under "Commands" is "Clean Up HTML".

That can help with improperly nested tags if you have a lot of them. Just be sure to save a copy of the file before doing it as a backup. Its not perfect - but its a start.

teedoff
Sep 13th, 2010, 04:33 PM
It's the same with any language, whether its programming with C# or coding with html. Proper syntax and coding is essential to ensure a properly working page. Besides, errors and correcting errors makes you a better coder! lol