View Full Version : Resolved firefox background image, how to?

09-08-2010, 06:14 PM
How do I create an image like the one attached?
I grabbed this image from a Firefox page.

Is there something I can use in Photoshop or even Fireworks :confused:
Interested in the lower section of the image, it looks like it's been rolled on with a paint roller.

09-08-2010, 07:10 PM
How experienced so far are you with Photoshop?

This is usually done with layered transparencies. It's very easy, actually.

Are you familiar with working with layers in PS?

There are filters which allow you to add 'natural' or 'paint' effects to whole layers. You can also apply textures and gradients to create faded vignettes.

Also, by selecting the erasor with a textured brush, you can work negatively, by stripping away painted areas with varying levels of force to achieve subtle effects like the paint roller effect you're after. There are many ways of achieving it though. You could add noise to a gradient, for instance - or select one of the filters which renders specific paint effects.

It's hard to tell but but that looks to me as though someone has used a rectangular mask and applied a paint spatter filter inside it over and over again.

Decide on a theme first then collect some source imagery, either from magazines or from the Internet to inspire you.

You can then cut out parts of images with the mask tools. You can resize them and place over each other in layers, with different levels of transparency, so they show through each other. Then you would treat each layer with adjustments, filters and effects.

Dr. V

09-08-2010, 07:28 PM
You must be a pretty skilled PS user to do that.
My knowledge is that of the net, whatever is available to help with the project.

The idea / concept I'm trying to accomplish is to roll a wood layer on the canvas like a paint roller - just like painting with a roller paint brush.

How cool would it be to use a cursor like the image attached and paint your canvas as needed?

09-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Photoshop is best. Any old version would actually do. You can pick it up second hand on Ebay sometimes.

Or for a cheaper alternative, Paint Shop Pro (Corel) if it's still going.

Or download the GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) for free.



How cool would it be to use a cursor like the image attached and paint your canvas as needed?

That's exactly what textured brushes are! Can either select one or build your own. All available in most of these programs I've mentioned.

Select brush / select colour / - the cursor then becomes the shape of the brush. Wave it over the canvas and... hey presto!

Dr. V

09-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions of apps.
List of apps loaded:

Corel Draw X3 (13)
Photoshop CS3
Fireworks CS4
Paint.Net <- Very good freebie app
I only know the basics, that brush option you talk about is neat but learning this stuff is complicated.
There is so much you can do in any of these apps but time is a factor.

How about the attached tester?

09-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Have you done that tester? Looks pretty good to me.

'Fraid there is some learning involved in just about everything to do with imaging. If you have PS CS3 then you are actually armed to the teeth with the industry standard.

Select brush tool and open the brush shape options pallette. From there, it's pretty self explanatory.

If you do a search, you will find plenty of tutorials for free.

Dr. V

09-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Yes made that as I was playing around.
As you can see in that image the wood still shows all the way...
How do I make it stop when the brush ends?
Outline the wood to only show the brush not the entire wood background.

Do you know what I mean?

I think I got it!
How about this one?

09-09-2010, 01:58 AM
No, I don't quite know what you mean.

If you mean you want to select only part of the wood, then use a mask. You have a full range of powerful selection tools. Choose the rectangular marquee (top left on tools pallette) and hold down the mouse btn to select a square region. You can also feather masks to achieve a fade.

It doesn't look too bad but I think you could do with tweaking the opacity down on the brush options. Also check out what happens when you adjust the hardness setting of the brush.

Dr. V

09-09-2010, 07:50 AM
I get similar results, I think I need to be in the mood for design.

Is it possible to make a brush based on the first image I posted?
Ignore that one, got it!

09-09-2010, 01:26 PM
There are many brushes for download on the internet, this site (http://colorburned.com/2009/11/paint-rollers-20-high-resolution-photoshop-brushes.html) and that one (http://www.creativemac.com/2002/10_oct/features/download1021004.htm) among them. In order to get something like on the Firefox image you’d probably need to play with blend modes etc.

09-09-2010, 02:12 PM
I do appreciate this!
How on earth do I use a brush make the wood sit in it?

Steps I've followed:
Load the brush click on the wood image
Click the magic wand tool to select the brush shape
Select inverse and delete selected.
Now I have those images I posted.

Is there a proper way?

09-10-2010, 02:08 AM
I wish I could be of more help on custom brushes, but I only use Photoshop as it came. That's usually because if I want something very complex, I'll draw it for real and scan it in.

I would think that if there's a 'proper way' then you're looking at it, in that tutorial.

Dr. V