PDA

View Full Version : page preload

russ801
May 6th, 2003, 07:46 PM
I have a series of pages with images on them (who doesn't?). Normal navigation would be to view the pages in sequence. Therefore I would like to preload the next page.

But if I understand it right, if I simply preload the next page, only the HTML would be preloaded, not the actual images.

I also have a preload function that loads the current page images, so I a) want to wait until the current page images are loaded before I start the next pages and b) not load the images twice.

any advice?

Russ

HairyTeeth
May 6th, 2003, 09:30 PM
I didn't know you could preload the html in a web page?

joh6nn
May 7th, 2003, 03:25 AM
to the best of my knowledge, pages can't be preloaded, only images. could you show us the where you read about preloading pages? also, a link to the pages you'll be putting this on would be great.

russ801
May 7th, 2003, 03:45 AM
I took a look at the page preload, it was somewhat a misnomer. What it does is load the page and hide it. Not really preloading.

my site is

www.davidhersyphotography.com

Russ

russ801
May 7th, 2003, 03:47 AM
www.davidhershyphotgraphy.com

HairyTeeth
May 7th, 2003, 07:44 AM
I think you mean:

www.davidhershyphotography.com

:)

EDIT. To clarify, you want:

a. If the user clicks another link (say Bridal), the slideshow in the current page should continue until the images on (say) Bridal are preloaded and the user doesnt have to wait for them to load.

b. Not to preload images from the homepage again (if they occur in (say) Bridal. Regarding this point, if the image is alreaded preloaded, it shouldnt matter (unless the img src is different).

Have you optimised your images for the web? 55Kb is way to large in my humble opinion. I know you will want high quality images but maybe you can reduce the file size without overly reducing quality.

You have some heavy loading for a 28k modem (who has those old things? Me for one).

Also, how did the photographer get a picture of all of my girlfreinds??? :D

russ801
May 7th, 2003, 01:55 PM
I have offered to hold the flash gun on his glam shots.:cool:

I agree that the images are huge and I have an ongoing discussion with him on this subject. A couple of design decisions were made; design for n6+ and ie 5+ and to assume broadband. Since his target market is in the NYC area, there should be pretty good penetration.

So the size of the images are what we are trying to overcome. Even with broadband there is a significant wait until the images are loaded.

The specific functionality I have in mind is for the user to select a category which will will open a slide show of about a half dozen images (using your example of the bridal category). While the slide show is running, preload the first gallery page images (perhaps just the thumbnails). And do that for each subsequent page.

My biggest concern is to avoid downloading the images twice.

Vladdy
May 7th, 2003, 02:25 PM
I think your solution is not in preloading images before the page is displayed, which makes visitors wait, but providing them with information (first slide) as soon as it is available and loading the rest of it after: see my implementation of a slideshow script www.vladdy.net/webdesign/slideshow.html