PDA

View Full Version : hidden link for forum? please read

claudiasov
Apr 19th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Hi..

I'm making my own forum, and I'm going to have kind of many links posted there therefore I don't want people to just "steal" them, but say something and then get that link. I have seen on many forums that there is like this "please reply to get the link" or similar...

Can some of you please help on what kind of html it is, and where I can find it?

thanks in advance :)

Budreaux
Apr 20th, 2010, 06:12 PM
claudiasov

it sounds like you either need a javascript form handler or a server side form handler using php, asp or cgi. The method you want to employ is to have the user fill in a text field in a form (which is validated to make sure the user put something into the text field) then return the link for them to follow.

It is purely your preference as to how you wish to accomplish this. Javascript would be quicker to deploy, however, an accomplished coder could simply read your javascript to get the location of the links. Server side code would be more secure if your trying to restrict view of links without some sort of input first. Just do a search for form processing in the scripting language you prefer and you should find several examples.

BlueTriangle
Apr 20th, 2010, 10:25 PM
an accomplished coder could simply read your javascript to get the location of the links.

An absolute beginner coder could get the links, EASILY...

He was right though, If you want it to work properly, then just use PHP code, or ASP or whatever you're using.

claudiasov
Apr 21st, 2010, 08:23 PM
An absolute beginner coder could get the links, EASILY...

He was right though, If you want it to work properly, then just use PHP code, or ASP or whatever you're using.

I'm pretty new to this stuff, could you guys help me with that? :confused:

effpeetee
Apr 22nd, 2010, 04:00 PM
UI can't help you with this specific problem, but here are some useful links (http://exitfegs.co.uk/Sources.html).

Frank

Budreaux
Apr 22nd, 2010, 04:56 PM
claudiasov

how many links are you talking about? Are they static or dynamic (generated on the fly).

I could whip up a simple javascript to handle the form input, validation and return link, but that would be better handled in the correct forum. The project becomes exponentially difficult if the links are dynamic or based on user input. At this point, you may want to decide on which method you want to use and post a question in that specific forum for help writing the script.