PDA

View Full Version : tab navigation help

Apr 2nd, 2010, 12:03 PM
Is there a way to create horizontal tab navigation without the use of the <div> tag? I don't want it to conflict with my external css. Sorry if the answer is too obvious but keep in mind I've only been doing this for 3 weeks now. Here is my css now. I just want to know the absolute basics of horizontal tabs but without div.

a { cursor: crosshair }
body { background-color: #7A5015 }
a:link { color: #000000 }
a:visited { color: #191816 }
div { height:120px;width:120px;overflow:scroll;background-color:#4D4C4A; border-style: groove; border-width: 5px; }
table { border-style: groove; border-width: 5px; border-color: #131111; }

Mezzra
Apr 2nd, 2010, 12:18 PM
Well, you will need some sort of container to hold the links in place. You could use a table for this, but it would be very inadvisable; why not just add another div in?

Anyway, here (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/csslibrary/category/C1/) are some great CSS and JavaScript Horizontal Menus, if you'd like to take a look.

Apr 2nd, 2010, 12:34 PM
those are good but I want to make my own from scratch

Excavator
Apr 2nd, 2010, 06:06 PM
Hello 957,
A well thought out semantic layout would not have conflict with your external CSS. I'm not really sure what you mean by that. It's certainly not reason enough to stop using divs.

I understand your wanting to build your own but sometimes that's easier if you see an example of something done right. A little reverse engineering will show you how it's done, then you can apply that knowledge to your own creation.

Apr 3rd, 2010, 02:53 AM
lol. I was considering what you said. Then I saw your helpful member award. ok I'll take your advice.