PDA

View Full Version : Domain masking and external links

eshroom
Mar 11th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I link to a few external websites but if you click on one of these links, the domain is still masked while you navigate to the other address.

Is there any way for people visiting my website to be able to click on a link and navigate completely away, i.e. have the new websites address appear in the address bar so that masking only occurs when they are navigating the pages of my site?

VIPStephan
Mar 11th, 2010, 12:10 PM
How are you doing this? Is your website in a frameset or what? This is terrible practice, I have to say. Best would be to remove that frameset altogether. If that’s not an option then target="_top" applied to the anchors will do.

eshroom
Mar 11th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Thank you!

I purchased a domain from godaddy (.com for $74 x 10 years couldn't be beaten) and since it's for personal use didn't want to pay for hosting, so forwarding to an add free hosting service was the only option.

Perhaps there is a company I can transfer my domain to who offers free basic hosting too, thus eliminating the need for forwarding?

abduraooft
Mar 11th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Perhaps there is a company I can transfer my domain to who offers free basic hosting too, thus eliminating the need for forwarding? http://freehostia.com !

eshroom
Mar 11th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Wow.

Thanks to VIPStephan for the initial solution.

Thanks also to abduraooft, DNS and hosting changed, forwarding no longer necessary!

freehostia is perfect, a bit sluggish but then each page has maximum 50kb to load so not an issue.