PDA

View Full Version : "Myriad Pro" Windows Substitute?

jenius
Feb 10th, 2010, 03:46 AM
I really love the font - it's smooth, clean, and works on all macs. But I know it's nowhere close on PCs. Do you guys have any suggestions for second place font family choices of fonts that will work on windows and slightly resemble Myriad Pro?

I'm totlly unfamiliar with windows defaults, so this would be super helpful. On the other hand, everyone should just get a mac equipped with safari 4, and all of our web design problems would be over. sigh....

ahallicks
Feb 10th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Depends. For standard fonts I like Arial. For large headers I really like Georgia (one of the only standard serif fonts I like). Tahoma was a favourite, but I've leant more towards Arial now.

VIPStephan
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:04 PM
[Ö] everyone should just get a mac equipped with safari 4 [Ö]

No, please not. That only draws more evil people to write viruses for Apple computers and it devalues the devices themselves (because everyone has one itís nothing special anymore).

ahallicks
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM
...devalues the devices themselves (because everyone has one itís nothing special anymore)...

But surely it'd be better if they were a little cheaper? :p hehe

Actually, I have a question on this subject. What is the standard font used in applications on a Mac. I've never actually used one before?

VIPStephan
Feb 10th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I think Lucida Grande is Macs’ standard font. Yeah, Wikipedia confirms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucida_Grande). Lucida Sans (Unicode) would be the equivalent on Windows machines, I guess.

Apostropartheid
Feb 10th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I'd rather not pay extortion for what is at the end of the day just another computer, cheers.
Um I guess there's Segoe UI, but that's only on more recent Windows versions.

Yay
Feb 10th, 2010, 11:00 PM
You could also consider font replacement methods such as

http://cufon.shoqolate.com/generate/

If you're doing this in some form of web project, which I imagine you are.

VIPStephan
Feb 10th, 2010, 11:11 PM
You could also consider font replacement methods such as

http://cufon.shoqolate.com/generate/

If you're doing this in some form of web project, which I imagine you are.

Be careful when using licensed fonts and stick to its EULA. Not all creators/vendors allow this method of including.

jenius
Feb 11th, 2010, 01:55 AM
No, please not. That only draws more evil people to write viruses for Apple computers and it devalues the devices themselves (because everyone has one itís nothing special anymore).

Haha good call...

Thanks for the advice everyone - I have experimental with Arial and Verdana, because I know those are standards, but neither of them really has the same polished look as Myriad

I've used Cufon before and it is wonderful, but I'd rather not deal with it if possible, especially if I'm using such a normal seeming font as Myriad... you know? And a stephen brought up, I also could run into licensing issues that way.

I'll definitely give the suggested fonts a shot though, especially lucidia :thumbsup: