PDA

View Full Version : How to display png images properly in ie6 please

kevinkhan
Feb 4th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Does anybody know a way of displaying .png images in Internet explorer 6 properly?

Iv been searching the internet all day and have not found an answer..

Thanks for your help

harrierdh
Feb 4th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I've used this one with success.

http://www.twinhelix.com/css/iepngfix/

linehand
Feb 5th, 2010, 11:09 AM
If you have fireworks, then you may want to look into PNG8 format with alpha trans.

Only fireworks really has this capability. There are some other PNG optimizers that can convert PNG24/32 to this format but they do a poor job. The format is great because it gives you alpha trans in modern browsers and in IE5.5 + it just sees anything that is less than 100% as 0%. Some something that is 99% visible will disappear in IE6. Not perfect, but better than gray boxes. It basicly becomes like a GIF with 1bit trans. If you set your image up right then your drop shadow will just disappear in IE6 but it will still look ok, not perfect, but ok.).

The advantage is smaller files, no JS, imageloader, or whatever. The people who are using these old browsers are often on old computers that really run bad with most script based PNG fixes.

The disadvantage is low quality gradients which are not suitable for all images (make sure to set dither to 100% for images with gradients, sometimes a little tweaking can hide the low quality gradients, but some images are just not suitable for this method).

Sometimes I found that the best option was to just feed IE6 a different image using conditional comments. I try to use PNG8 were possible, and swap images were needed, but I never use the scripting based PNG fixes.