PDA

View Full Version : Possible to have html document "point" to excel? (updated weekly)

SteveDawg85
Feb 2nd, 2010, 05:27 AM
I know Excel has a file > save as > web page.

The only way I know is to copy/paste the code into my html document, sure it works but I have the following problem. I need to update about 100 cells on a weekly basis and prefer to make the changes in Excel vs html code.

So my question, is it possible for the html doc to "point" to the excel file, and when I update the excel file, the webpage automatically reflects it without going into the code and editing it. (Yes, I do plan on uploading the spreadsheet on a weekly basis)

Josephbm91
Feb 2nd, 2010, 10:41 AM
I can't help you out directly, but these look like some good resources. Looks like there are two popular options for embedding interactive spreadsheets into HTML:

Google Spreadsheets (http://code.google.com/apis/spreadsheets/data/3.0/developers_guide.html)

Zoho Sheets (http://sheet.zoho.com/login.do?serviceurl=/home.do)

SteveDawg85
Feb 2nd, 2010, 05:38 PM
Hmm, Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at it. Although I don't want my "client's" to manipulate data, just me :). Also I'm already learning html/css as it is, I'd hate to learn google spreadsheets just for this 1 purpose.

Any1 else have any input how to do this directly in coding and Excel?

mbaker
Feb 2nd, 2010, 10:54 PM
Steve,

There is a much simpler way of using Google than their Spreadsheets. To just publish a spreadsheet the simplest route is to upload your spreadsheet to Google Docs, then publish it. You can set your spreadsheet up so that only you can edit it. The Google Docs interface is very similar to Excel, so you could maintain your spreadsheet in Google Docs, or you could upload it every week.

When you publish your spreadsheet, Google provide a URL that you can provide people so that they can see your spreadsheet on the Google website, or you can embed the spreadsheet on your own website using an IFrame. If you'd like to see an example of the latter I've written a short description of the whole process with an example embedded spreadsheet on my website as Publish Spreadsheet (http://www.html-tags-guide.com/publish-spreadsheet.html).

The process is very easy. From a standing start, never having created a spreadsheet with Google Docs, and never having published one, I logged in, created a sample (2 column, 9 row spreadsheet, I know small, but then you already have a spreadsheet written), protected it, published it, created a web page to embed it in, embedded it, and adjusted the size of the IFrame, all in about 30 to 45 minutes.

Uploading an existing spreadsheet should be easy. Do give it a try, I think you will be surprised. There is very little to learn.

SteveDawg85
Feb 3rd, 2010, 03:30 AM
WOW!!! I have to say, underestimated Google Docs greatly, these is spectacular!!! lol...

Sorry I doubted you joseph, but this works like a charm, not only is this great, but it works better than what I expected! great tutorial mbaker, thanks so much y'all!!!