PDA

View Full Version : w3c validator shows error i dont understand

needsomehelp
Jan 27th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I have tried to tidy up my code but get 42 errors with the validator which i do not understand.

please can someone check out my code and tell me where i am going wrong.

most of the errors are within the <head> tags, only 3 or so are within the <html> tags again which i do not see why these show.

the following link is where i have uploaded my template.
http://roundshaw.co.uk/sc/1.html

EDIT

just used the HTML tidy code for the <head> tags and not i get only 6 errors

Dormilich
Jan 27th, 2010, 09:59 AM
the current error is:

<ul>
<div>…</div>
</ul>
which is not allowed, you have to use

<ul>
<li>…</li>
</ul>

needsomehelp
Jan 27th, 2010, 01:11 PM
in doing that the text is not centered now it left aligns!

Dormilich
Jan 27th, 2010, 01:35 PM
then change the text-align property to center for this <li>

bazz
Jan 27th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Yeh, sorry this is so verbose but, I hope you get the drift. my cerebral efficiency section is in 'off' mode today, seemingly.

You must get the code correct firstly. doesn't matter how it looks at that stage. once you have built semantic code, you should only then start to use your css to make it display. OK so some people do css firstly and then the semantic code but, even with that workflow, they make sure the code is semantic and if not, they don't worry that the presentation changes when they adjust the (x)html.

No matter which workflow you adopt, code has to be semantic before worrying about presentational changes. A bit like making sure a wall is finished in your house, before painting it. If - after you first paint it - you re-plaster to fix a blemish, that will alter the presentational characteristics (css) and so you have to re-paint it (adjust the css).

hth

bazz