PDA

View Full Version : Swfobject is not showing flash in IE for some customers?

pinkshiro
Jan 26th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Hi all,

I have been using SWFobject for a long time with no issues - I'm using SWFObject v2.2, and I received notice that it was not displaying content for some clients. They DO have flash installed. They don't have enough "know how" to disable Javascript - and they seem to be using IE7.

I have got a number of people to test it on their computers on IE7 including myself, with no problems whatsoever.

Can you take a look at the following code and screenshots attached, and explain why this may not work for some people in IE7, but would work for others?

Here's the HTML:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/swfobject.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
// <![CDATA[

var flashvars = {};
var params = { wmode : 'transparent', quality : 'high'};
var attributes = {};

swfobject.embedSWF("flash/block.swf", "top-block", "871", "424", "9.0.0","expressInstall.swf", flashvars, params, attributes);

swfobject.embedSWF("flash/specials-block.swf", "specials-block", "371", "251", "9.0.0","expressInstall.swf", flashvars, params, attributes);

// ]]>
</script>
</head>

<body>

<div id="top-block">
</div>
<div id="specials-block">
</div>
</body>
</html>

See attached images - they show the IE version of the client, and their security tab in the tools menu.

VIPStephan
Jan 26th, 2010, 11:32 PM
These screenshots don’t tell me anything. Where is the page in question?
And did you know that SWFObject is progressive enhancement in action? You should provide some alternative content in the containers. If you do they could at least tell you if the alternative content shows up.

pinkshiro
Jan 27th, 2010, 01:54 AM
These screenshots don’t tell me anything. Where is the page in question?
And did you know that SWFObject is progressive enhancement in action? You should provide some alternative content in the containers. If you do they could at least tell you if the alternative content shows up.

Where is the actual page? Sitting inside the code tags in my original post...

Yes, you are quite right about the alternative content - which I am putting together as we speak.

Right. I shall explain those screenshots.

A) Confirming the IE Version - there is known issues with 64bit browsers and flash, so here I am heading off any "are they running 64bit" questions with proof that it is not a 64bit browser.
B) Confirming the security level settings for the browser of that particular client.

Hence, the shed more light onto this client's setup. Using IE7, with security level set to medium-high. Medium high levels indicate that Javascript would be enabled, yes? I thought the security level of an IE browser would affect swfobject...

So yes these screenshots are relevant.

So, if my computer is running vista, IE7 with the same security levels, shouldn't I be seeing the same thing as the client considering it's the same setup? But the client is still seeing no flash.

If I add the flash using embed tags, the client can see the flash - so it can't be that they don't have the correct version of flash installed.

I am not sure what other factors could lead to that client not seeing the flash? Any thoughts?

VIPStephan
Jan 27th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Well, I’d like to see the live page in action. The code you posted looks correct but I’d like to see it with my own eyes and possibly play around with it a bit. And plain code doesn’t help in this case.