PDA

View Full Version : Search Optimization...Keywords & Regionality Questions

mark4man
Jan 25th, 2010, 09:48 PM
hello again...

[hope this is the correct form...if not...please move me mr. administrator, thanks]:

was wondering:

I have a site designed for my recording studio; & many of my keywords are plural-based (ending in 's')...keyword combos such as 'recording studios', 'mastering studios', etc.

is the plural approach better...or should they just read as 'studio', w/ no 's' on the end ???

[reason I ask is...whenever I search, I automatically place an 's' on the end...out oif habit...thinking it brings in multiple responses. maybe old-fashioned...I don't know.]

so...1) which works better...plural or singular ???

2) My site comes up in a search for 'recording studios, nj'...pretty high on a Google list entitled: 'local bussiness results for recording studios near new jersey'...yet my location is listed about 3 pages deep into the site. aamof...until yesterday, it was a set of pages not even under it's own domain. one would have to go to my main site (an indie music site); & click on a link to get to the studio pages.

so...2) how do the search engines determine regionality, if you're city & state aren't prominent on your site...telephone # ???

3) what is the best method FOR optimizing regional search results ???

thanks,

mark4man
MoonMix Studios

linehand
Jan 26th, 2010, 06:04 AM
1) There are numerous tools available for checking your keywords. Google has it's own keyword checking tools. Adwords is very useful. This is a key aspect of SEO. You must research your keywords and determine exactly which keywords to focus on. It is not really possible to say whether plural or singular is better in general. It depends on the word. My guess (and I am just guessing, which is not a good approach here) is that for "recording studio" singular may be a more commonly searched term, while socks and hats are likely more commonly searched as plural.

It is worth noting that you may not want to target the most commonly searched terms because there will be much competition for positioning on those most popular search terms. There are tools available to help you determine how many searches per month in a specific country where made for specific key words/phrases. Using these tools it is easy to compare "recording studio" with "recording studios" and determine exactly which is the more commonly searched phrase.

2) I'm not certain, but I've always suspected that the location of the IP address of the site might effect this even though it really shouldn't. It doesn't really make sense because a shop, or some blogger is quite commonly located 1000s of miles from the servers which host their sites. I still suspect that it does effect positioning to some degree, but I have nothing to back that up, aside from a sinking feeling in my gut that tells me google's days are numbered.

I suppose a good place to start at least is to go to google maps and on the main page, on the left (if you haven't searched for anything) there should be a link to "Put your business on Google Maps" which will lead you to more info on googles local searches.

3) I have never seen much information regarding this, but it might be worth getting listed in local directories, and getting linkbacks from other local businesses.

I suspect though that it is more of an on/off switch, your business is either local or it's not. The local listings then are likely ordered in the same way they would have been in any non-local search for the same keywords (the only difference in ordering due to all the non-local sites being removed). That would make sense because the person is still searching for keywords and so the SE should arrange results according to relevance, popularity, and quality just as they do with regular searches.

So my guess is that you should just focus on general SEO, but make sure google knows where you are located.

mark4man
Jan 27th, 2010, 03:53 AM
linehand...

wow...fantastic information you've given me...thanks very much.

will attempt to digest it all; & then put it to work.

thanks again,

mark4man
MoonMix Studios

btw - actually...I have a follow-up question. since the old site was a set of pages under another domain...& the new site resides on it's own domain...I guess it's gonna take a while for the spiders to catch up ???

I imagine following your main advice will do best to speed up the process ??? thanks again.

FOLLOW-UP...!!!...not sure if I should ask yet another question, but this one is more important...(& I woke up wondering about this in the middle of the night, last nite):

Q: The hosting plan I went with...w/ GoDaddy...was an upgrade from a 'standard' to a 'deluxe'. this means I can host two sites for a reduced rate, which I went for. it also means that my original site (moonjams) remains as the Primary account. My new domain (moonmixstudios) is the Secondary account. (I guess you could say it's shared hosting?)

so...my new site's files reside in a folder of the same name under moonjams...with some sort of url re-director or pointer or something in place for people wishing to visit the new site.

now...it works fine for web surfers...

but how about for search engines...???

thanks much,

mf
MoonMix Studios