PDA

View Full Version : special characters display?

spitfire72
Jan 24th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Hi. Could someone please explain the protocol for using special characters once and for all? I have read up on the issue but can't make sense of it. When writing a web page using foreign words with accents, the only way I can get those characters to display correctly is with eg: é But this is a nightmare when updates need to be made, etc. Also, when content is entered with copy and paste, ndashes and apostrophe's display as bad characters. What is the best practice for the language type and treatment of special characters? I recently switched to using charset=UTF-8 in the hopes that most characters would be supported, but it doen't seem to be foolproof. I must be missing something. Thank you!

Apostropartheid
Jan 25th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Are you using a database of some sort? How are you inserting characters into your document?

spitfire72
Jan 25th, 2010, 06:20 AM
I'm just using html/css and giving clients access to update pages through Adobe InContext. No database. I'm working on a site now that requires several pages in Spanish in addition to the English portion. I just want everything to display in normal fashion!

Thanks,
H

Dormilich
Jan 25th, 2010, 07:40 AM
you have to make sure that the output charset matches the input charset. e.g. special characters in Latin-1 encoding won’t display correctly in UTF-8 and vice versa.