PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player (WMP) version check??

stenix
Nov 25th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Hi all,

I'm currently working on a page that is presented to users which will check browser version, OS version etc.

I've managed to do all of these checks with JavaScript but I'm struggling to find out how (or even IF) I can get what version of Windows Media Player the user has installed. We're looking to see if they have WMP11 or greater.
The searching I've done has thrown up a couple of things (like a check to see if the version is 5.2 or 6.4 or higher by looking at mimeTypes).

Basically can anyone confirm if this is actually possible and if so any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Philip M
Nov 25th, 2009, 08:23 AM
This is not possible with Javascript, which is not capable of accessing the operating system.

All advice is supplied packaged by intellectual weight, and not by volume. Contents may settle slightly in transit.

stenix
Nov 25th, 2009, 09:03 AM
This is not possible with Javascript, which is not capable of accessing the operating system.

Thanks for the quick reply. Thought this might be the answer I get. Have find a way to get the version of the WMP plugin, this may do but only works in IE.

Thanks again