PDA

View Full Version : Background not filling up screen, help?

grahamy84
Oct 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM
My background is not filling up my screen when I test it onna bigger monitor.

Is there a typical background size people use when using a background image?

I'd appreciate the help. My site is: www.caffevinci.com

VIPStephan
Oct 12th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Is there a typical background size people use when using a background image?

No, but people use repeating images. In your case I would probably use the image of the Vitruvian Man and repeat it horizontally. Youíll have to edit it a little so itís not obvious where the edge of the image is and it repeats unobtrusively.

grahamy84
Oct 12th, 2009, 12:02 PM
No, but people use repeating images. In your case I would probably use the image of the Vitruvian Man and repeat it horizontally. Youíll have to edit it a little so itís not obvious where the edge of the image is and it repeats unobtrusively.

I'm not loving this Stephan! ;-)

Surely there must be a way around it without repeating the image? I'd like the background image to have a fading effect.

Avril
Oct 12th, 2009, 12:16 PM
The image being a fixed width and it being impossible to stretch it to background size (also impractical, as browser sizes vary), VIP is right. You could centre a div with a larger version of the image, then have a background in faded values of the image background for the body.

VIPStephan
Oct 12th, 2009, 03:14 PM
You can still have the vertical fade as I said to repeat the image horizontally (along the x axis; that’s repeat-x in CSS terms). Or do you want to have a horizontal fade, too?

Eventually, you can still have an image that’s like 3000px wide. Few people have such a screen resolution and if they have then rarely they use all the space for the browser window.

Excavator
Oct 12th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I'm not loving this Stephan! ;-)

Surely there must be a way around it without repeating the image? I'd like the background image to have a fading effect.

Try repeat-x with this img - http://nopeople.com/grahamy84/caffe_vinci_new_background2.jpg