PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Please Help Me Out With This Page?

grahamy84
Sep 30th, 2009, 11:20 AM
http://www.caffevinci.com/index_test.html

It just appears to be an absolute wreck at the moment. I haven't got a clue what is going on with the images in the photoshuffler and in dreamweaver (I'm not an experienced coder) it looks messy as hell.

I'm unsure if it's a size issue with the form or what?

SB65
Sep 30th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Achh, I'm sure this was sorted before...:rolleyes:

Your photodiv is taking up the whole width of container, so the background image set by photoshuffler is being repeated. This looks like it's caused by the loss of the css for #photodiv, which should be:

#photodiv{width:700px;margin:0 auto}

And you shouldn't need that extra div between #photodiv and the image.

Also, you need to add overflow:auto to container to extend the white background down the page.

grahamy84
Sep 30th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Achh, I'm sure this was sorted before...:rolleyes:

Your photodiv is taking up the whole width of container, so the background image set by photoshuffler is being repeated. This looks like it's caused by the loss of the css for #photodiv, which should be:

#photodiv{width:700px;margin:0 auto}

And you shouldn't need that extra div between #photodiv and the image.

Also, you need to add overflow:auto to container to extend the white background down the page.

Thanks mate. What do you think about the rest of the page?

SB65
Sep 30th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Looks OK in FF3 and Chrome3, let's have a look in IE7....

...yep, OK in that as well. What's the problem you're seeing?

grahamy84
Sep 30th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Looks OK in FF3 and Chrome3, let's have a look in IE7....

...yep, OK in that as well. What's the problem you're seeing?

I'm not seeing one in any browser SB. It's just the page in Dreamweaver looks an absolute mess. Is there anything I could have done to make the layout look easier on the eyes in Dreamweaver?

I understand Dreamweaver isn't perfect but I was thinking it was perhaps something I was doing wrong.

SB65
Sep 30th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Oh right, don't trust the Design view in Dreamweaver at all.

Your users will never see it....

Scriptet
Sep 30th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Yeah basically if your page looks good in Dreamweaver Design View, it's proabably wrong. You should be happy if it looks a mess as you're probably doing things right. Not that you should ever click the "Design View" tab anyway, just stick to the "code" tab, otherwise your page will end up in a mess..

Anyway you've got a couple of simple errors on the link to the page you posted:

1. You've got a random </p> after the end of your menu:

</ul></p>

2. You're missing a </body> tag to close off the body, which should come before </html>

Oh and also just out of interest because it could help you out are you using PHP includes for your headers/footers/ any common information in all of your pages..
For example, let's say you had the same menu and header on all of your pages, then you can keep this in a sepearte file, and just use a simple PHP statement to include it on your page.
That way if you want to change your header you only have to change it once, not on the hundrerds of static pages you might have.
You might be doing this already but just to let you know.
Some more information on it: http://www.tizag.com/phpT/include.php

grahamy84
Oct 1st, 2009, 02:59 PM
Yeah basically if your page looks good in Dreamweaver Design View, it's proabably wrong. You should be happy if it looks a mess as you're probably doing things right. Not that you should ever click the "Design View" tab anyway, just stick to the "code" tab, otherwise your page will end up in a mess..

Anyway you've got a couple of simple errors on the link to the page you posted:

1. You've got a random </p> after the end of your menu:

</ul></p>

2. You're missing a </body> tag to close off the body, which should come before </html>

Oh and also just out of interest because it could help you out are you using PHP includes for your headers/footers/ any common information in all of your pages..
For example, let's say you had the same menu and header on all of your pages, then you can keep this in a sepearte file, and just use a simple PHP statement to include it on your page.
That way if you want to change your header you only have to change it once, not on the hundrerds of static pages you might have.
You might be doing this already but just to let you know.
Some more information on it: http://www.tizag.com/phpT/include.php

Thanks for that Scriptet. I have remedied the errors.

I haven't really used PHP before. Is it difficult to pick up? I do use an oscommerce store which is PHP based but there's a lot of help around for that and its pretty easy to use their own editing interface.

Scriptet
Oct 1st, 2009, 07:56 PM
Well it's just a PHP include, which is just one line, so you don't actually need to learn PHP. I got away with just knowing how to do this until I wanted to learn to develop more dynamic sites and had to actually learn PHP.

If you want to include an external file in your document you literally just use:

<?php include('nameoffile.php') ?>

And that's all, the only difference is your pages must be saved with a .php exstension instead of .html..

I just remember when I was learning and I created like a hundrerd pages with static headers, and if I wanted to change a menu item say, i had to update every single page.