PDA

View Full Version : SEO & display:none;

greens85
Sep 18th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Hi all,

If you set a div to display:none, does this stop the divs content being spidered in any manner?

The reason I ask is I have a number of divs that are initially hidden but can be expanded upon the user request... however these divs contain important SEO keywords therefore I need to make sure they will be spidered.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Greens85

grahamy84
Sep 18th, 2009, 01:46 PM
It depends on the content. If it's just a list of keywords that make no-sense, much like the keywords you'd include in your meta tag then I wouldn't advise you do it.

If it's hidden but makes sense then I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be picked up. But then you've got to ask yourself...what's the point? As it won't add any value to your site whatsoever.

You might as well choose your keywords and create useful content around them.

greens85
Sep 18th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I didnt actually mean it just contains a list of keywords...

What I was trying to say is it will include things like articles, advice, resources which by their very nature will include keywords that I will be targeting. Therefore will contribute towards the key word density of the website as a whole.

I was just a little concerned that if i hid the div when the page was loaded the spider might snub those particular divs...

www.educationvacancies.com/testpages

should give you some indication of what I mean.