PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu, HTML editor, your thoughts please.

VipX1
Aug 17th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Hi, I new to all this web design. I fix PC's, DVR's to be exact for living.
However, I'm getting into web page scripting at the weekends, as a hobby I suppose and I'd love to know what way I should have set up my Ubuntu OS to optimize the PC's ability to edit HTML, CSS and or php...
At present I just use a standard text editor 'gedit'. I'm sure there's a better way, where do I start?
Thanks.

DaiLaughing
Aug 17th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I have made a similar move and use Aptana. It's overkill I suspect but it does good highlighting of HTML, XHTML, CSS, Javascript and PHP and more. It also auto completes if you want it to and points out syntax errors.

VipX1
Aug 22nd, 2009, 09:53 PM
I tried Aptana and it's a bit too much for the stage I'm at. I just want a simple html editor. I'm going to try Komodo edit this evening so I'll see..

VipX1
Aug 26th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Komodo-edit-5 is brilliant html + css editor. It does more but that's all I've used so far. It opens the files from web server directory via ssh with the remote folder function and then saves the changes to the server file version as you work. I didn't see that function on other editors. I'm sure it's not unique but it was very easy to set up and so handy. I have put Komodo on my desktop, laptop and on my PC in work. When I am working on a page after work on the PC and it gets late I close the PC down, go home and open the page again on Komodo on my Ubuntu desktop and it's the same file with all the new changes. Because I'm using Komodo on both machines it has great consistency in a usability sense. It's probably old hat for alot of you but I am new to it and I think it's very good.
:)