PDA

View Full Version : Div going below instead of on side... also strangest css error I have seen

morcth
Aug 14th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Hey all,

Hoping someone can help me with this. Over at http://www.ecospire.com/ta you will see.. in IE and FF the content section is going under the right section instead of to the left of it... I have tried many things and not sure what I should do here.

Also, in FF if you go to the about us page and click the refresh button, only in FF, the content, which is a flash image using sifr, runs off the screen. If you hit refresh again it might fix itself up and obey the style... but probably not. If you click the nav.. click about us.. then it looks good. If you refresh.. it runs off the screen. Only happens in FF.. not any version of IE.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Been trying to get this layout working right for days.

Thanks.

Josh

morcth
Aug 14th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Forgot to mention this is a joomla site and a joomla template that I made using adobe fireworks export css and images option. That is where I started at least.. made a lot of changes to the css since then.

Everything I find online says it should be fine if I use a clear div after my divs... I do this pretty much for every div.. and the content and right section will not line up.. thanks

Josh

jhaycutexp
Aug 14th, 2009, 04:03 AM
know what? i recommend you to slice up the images.. and rework on the html stucture.. i'm trying to figure out a work around with your current.. but i think what youre trying to achieve is impossible at the moment..

in order to attain your target layout,

i suggest you read first on how to make two column web page..

best regards

andrew

morcth
Aug 14th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Well I just changed it around a bit... put the right top and bottom into a right div... put the content div first in the html and now the content is in the right spot but the right div starts too far down and since the content will be growing i cant just put margin-top -400px or something.. I will look into 2 column layout in css now... thanks. One question, why would it be impossible to bring that div up with my current layout? Any info would be appreciated.. thanks.

Josh

jhaycutexp
Aug 14th, 2009, 05:13 AM
well i see so you have made a couple of adjustments..

cause previously the html didn't have a flow.. it's very hard to explain in simple words.. let's just say it is unorganized..

but you have actually made a slight progress.. here's a tip.. try to make your basic html structure like this..

<div id="wrapper">
<div id="header"></div><!--endofheader-->

<div id="body">
<div id="left">
<h1>your content here</h1>
<p>blah blah blah blah content</p>
</div><!--endofleft->
<div id="right">
your side bar list here..
</div><!--endofright-->

</div><!--endofbody-->

<div id="footer"></div><!--endoffooter-->

</div><!--endofwrapper-->

compare this to your current html layout structure.. and you will what's the difference... i'm just giving you hints.. up to you to read.... many things should be considered when making a joomla template...