PDA

View Full Version : 3 Ways To Use CSS In A Web Page

netroact
Aug 10th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I have been trying to figure out the best way to describe the 3 ways you can use CSS in web pages. For instance, one document uses the following terms:

External for for storing CSS commands in external style sheets
Embedded for embedding the CSS commands in the head of the web page
Inline for placing the CSS commands in the html code of the web page

Is this the correct terminology? I have seen different terms used in different discussions. I want to use proper technical terms for these as I am using them in a tutorial. I can't seem to find a standard on w3.

If you know the official terminology, would you please share it with me. Or, maybe there isn't an official terminology. If so, would you let me know. I would very much appreciate any facts or opinions, but please don't state your opinion as fact. A source would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Fisher
Aug 10th, 2009, 01:43 AM
This is a pretty good resource: CSS - w3schools (http://www.w3schools.com/CSS/css_howto.asp)

It talks about the different terminology.

netroact
Aug 10th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Thank you very much Fisher. That's exactly what I needed, and from the standards authority. Don't know why I couldn't find it.:eek:

VIPStephan
Aug 10th, 2009, 02:22 AM
That's exactly what I needed, and from the standards authority.

FYI: W3schools is not the standards authority, nor is it in any way related to the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium). The only thing they’ve got in common is the “W3” in their name.

netroact
Aug 10th, 2009, 02:57 AM
FYI: W3schools is not the standards authority, nor is it in any way related to the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium). The only thing they’ve got in common is the “W3” in their name.

So I wonder why they are allowed to use their name. Are you saying this is not the correct terminology?

Fisher
Aug 10th, 2009, 03:15 AM
VIPStephan is correct in saying they are not affiliated with the W3. It's just a good learning site.

The W3org site is huge. If you wish, you may browse it, but you'll find the same terminology there.

Here's an excerpt from their accessibility page (bolding mine):

Examine inline styles, internal stylesheets, and external stylesheets for the text-decoration property with a value of "blink".

netroact
Aug 10th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Sounds like that is the correct terminology. Could you provide a link? I looked on the web accessibility pages, and didn't find it. Thank you very much for helping me with this. Should I edit my previous standards entry, or leave it the way it is?

_Aerospace_Eng_
Aug 10th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I have an issue with your term "CSS Commands". They aren't commands. They are CSS properties.

netroact
Aug 10th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I have an issue with your term "CSS Commands". They aren't commands. They are CSS properties.

That's not my terms. It's an example of terminology used on one website. But, thanks for clarifying that.

Actually command is one of those words that gets thrown around alot like the word "header" or the word "inline". One definition of commands is instructions. This brings me back to my original question - Do we need rocket science protocol in this terminology? Do we need to agree on specific terms or not? I don't think anyone has really answered that question so far in this thread. My opinion is that we do, because I get confused easily without real clear terms. But, it doesn't seem to matter to others who have tutuorials on the web.

_Aerospace_Eng_
Aug 10th, 2009, 08:01 AM
New users tend to call CSS properties commands because they think they tell the html to do something. In a way this can be true however CSS is just a property of whatever element you are styling. Even the specs calls them CSS properties, not commands.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/cascade.html

Granted thats for CSS2 but its same in all of their specs.

netroact
Aug 11th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I appreciate all the comments on this thread.

mgm02
Aug 11th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Hi
thanks for sharing very useful informations