PDA

View Full Version : divs expand without javascript?

Coolness
Jul 17th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Hi all,
I've been toiling away at this for a while now, and each time I get somewhere something else goes wrong, I learn something more about css, and then I start over. I'm going to keep working on it, but I thought I'd post my problem here in case anyone is bored at home or work and wants to give it a shot too!

See picture: 7590

The tricky part is getting the divs in gray and light blue to fill the space and be overflow-y:auto and overflow:auto, respectively. I can get the footer to fix at the bottom, but then the divs don't fill the space. I figure it's possible with javascript, but I'm wondering if there's a way to get them to expand without it.

Fisher
Jul 17th, 2009, 12:00 PM
You don't need javascript.

You want faux columns (http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fauxcolumns/). You'll do it with a background image.

Rowsdower!
Jul 17th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Hi all,
I've been toiling away at this for a while now, and each time I get somewhere something else goes wrong, I learn something more about css, and then I start over. I'm going to keep working on it, but I thought I'd post my problem here in case anyone is bored at home or work and wants to give it a shot too!

See picture: 7590

The tricky part is getting the divs in gray and light blue to fill the space and be overflow-y:auto and overflow:auto, respectively. I can get the footer to fix at the bottom, but then the divs don't fill the space. I figure it's possible with javascript, but I'm wondering if there's a way to get them to expand without it.

For what it's worth, here is one working example WITHOUT using images:
http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/perfect-2-column-left-menu.htm

Fisher
Jul 17th, 2009, 06:38 PM
For what it's worth, here is one working example WITHOUT using images:

Hey, I like that!
But I don't buy his argument for "wasted bandwidth". A 2000px wide gif for a background is about 100 bytes. His added CSS is more. :p