PDA

View Full Version : Launch system beep sound

jolietjake
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Hello, here's a problem.

Need to launch an internal system beep sound (not a *.wav sound) when onclick a button. It's possible? Need to work on IE and NS

Thanks

Tails
Mar 27th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Don't know if that's possible. How about an alert()? Some people have no sound or have it turned down also.

Jason
Mar 27th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Almost positive that this cant be done in JS you would need a language that can communicate with the hardware I think...something like C possibly C++.

Jason

beetle
Mar 27th, 2003, 08:50 PM
obj.onclick = beep();

Just kidding. I doubt you would find a cross-browser way of doing this. ActiveX might do it for you with IE.

jolietjake
Mar 28th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Well, thanks however...

I cannot use an alert window (well, yes, I can use, but boss wants a beep, :confused: )

I heared that with netscape was possible, but they donīt show me how.

They say me that they use an action that runs a beep, but hidding the action...

I can use only js,... if i can use C...

Spudhead
Mar 28th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Why can't you use an embedded wav? That's the simple, as AFAIK only, way....

jolietjake
Mar 28th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Because boss hasn't got speakers, so he isn't able to hear any sound different of a internal beep :(

habib
Mar 28th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Here is $20.00 buy him some - lol!

Jus kidding, but it is possible in netscape, I read an article somewhere I'll dig it out. But to be honest, at the time I thought why on earth would anyone wanna do this, and even now I'm still asking myself the same question.

Anyways I'll have a search and keep you guys posted.

Habib

chrismiceli
Mar 28th, 2003, 01:38 PM
I know in c this is possible with a simple escape character
printf("hi\a");
that will make a beep from the system, haven't tried it in javascript, probably won't work.

beetle
Mar 28th, 2003, 03:15 PM
You're right chris, won't work in JS.

Here's a list (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/script56/html/js56jsconspecialcharacter.asp?frame=true) of the special chars in JS