PDA

View Full Version : Overwriting image

Nightfire
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:32 PM
I'm back with another uploader question. How can I overwrite the image that is already in the users directory? The user can have either gif or jpg image, but are only allowed one image. So if they first uploaded a jpg, then a gif later on, it shows both the images. How can I get the different file formats to overwrite eachother?

If the code is in the uploader, here's the upoloader script

$new_home_for_image="../users/$username/";
if($HTTP_POST_FILES['photo']['tmp_name'])
{
$path=$new_home_for_image.$HTTP_POST_FILES['photo']['name'];
if(!copy($HTTP_POST_FILES['photo']['tmp_name'],$path))
{
copy("nophoto.gif","../users/$username/nophoto.gif");
}else{
$type=array('','.gif','.jpg');
$bits=getimagesize($path);
$newname=$username.$type[$bits[2]];
if(rename($path,str_replace($HTTP_POST_FILES['photo']['name'],$newname,$path)))
{
echo "";
}
}
}

Flamerule
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:33 PM
The best way would be to delete the old image (if it exists). At least thats the only way I can think of but I don't know much about directory and file functions.

Nightfire
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:52 AM
I don't know anything about them either. I've been thinking that it may be best to rename the image to the extension that's in the direcetory, but I have no idea how to do that either. The uploader has thrown me off coz I have no idea how it works.

Mouldy_Goat
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:24 AM
Just scan the directory for any file ending .gif, .jpeg or .jpg. If
there is one - delete it.

Then just pop the uploaded image in there.

Nightfire
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:08 AM
Would you mind showing me how to do that? If it's a lot of work, then you don't have to show me. I'll try and figure out a new way of doing it.

Spookster
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Do you rename their files once they upload them? Also you might want to make sure the new image successfully uploads before deleting the old one .

Nightfire
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:49 AM
It's renamed to their username and then put into the users directory. I think that's how it happens, FirePages was the one that gave me the uploader but I can't figure it out myself.

I came across a problem earlier though :( I can't overwrite anything in the directory, nor delete, nor rename. Once the file's there, it's there forever, or until my host deletes it :(

I guess I gotta find out how to upload to mysql.

firepages
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:30 AM
if your script created the image as indeed the uploader does you should be able to unlink it??

<?
if(file_exists("../users/$username/$user.gif")){
unlink("../users/$username/$user.gif");
clearstatcache();
}elseif(file_exists("../users/$username/$user.jpg")){
unlink("../users/$username/$user.jpg");
clearstatcache();

}else{
$nofile_flag=1;
}
?>

and you need to do that before your upload script starts else you may overwrite the newly uploaded image :)

EDIT : added the clearstatcache() as alledgedly the call to file_exists() is cached by PHP and could affect other calls to file_exists()

Nightfire
Jul 10th, 2002, 06:31 PM

Thats weird how thie file thing is working. It's overwriting and deleting the images now, but still won't delete a directory. :confused:

firepages
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:03 PM
is the directory empty ? PHP cant delete a directory with contents, you can do it via exec() but that did not seem to work when you tried it?

Íkii
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Just a lil odd note:

If you upload a .gif with PHP and then name it ***.jpg it becomes
a jpeg :) - transparent colours become white. That's with using
move_uploaded_file($imagefile,"path/newname.jpg");