PDA

View Full Version : Improving search engine results

PitbullMean
Mar 24th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I made a site for my uncle a while back to help with his business http://www.foreverlock.ca (I know Tables) :rolleyes: anyway I was looking in to Google Webmaster to try and help out with my uncles search results I added a pissload of meta tags but they his site never comes up unless you say foreverlock in the search engine any pointers?

BoldUlysses
Mar 24th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Meta tags are obsolescent when it comes to search engine optimization, or SEO. This page has some good tips (http://boagworld.com/podcast/podcast_51_better_google_listi/). I would underscore the fact that it helps if your page is semantically-coded (http://www.boagworld.com/technology/semantic_code_what_why_how/) (that means no more tables for layout!), and that, above all, make sure the content is interesting and regularly-updated (give people a reason to revisit!).

grahamy84
Mar 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM
You should change your description as you look as though you've copied your keywords to the description box. Make sure your description is short, a sentence will do but include in it a few keywords you think will be applicable to your uncle's business.

"Sixteen years experience in the interlock business, FOREVER LOCK PAVING STONE works with their customers to create unique, customized, personal scenery. "

This appears on your front page, I think you can clean this up a little. There are few words in there people would search for. You should sit down with your uncle and come up with some common words people would think of when looking for his services and include them in your description and on your front page.

Try expanding your toolbar. You could have a testimonials page. Each job your uncle goes on he can ask for a testimonial and you can then add it to his site.

Create a quick link nav bar at the bottom of the page as well and try and create a few internal links in your website (you'll need more pages to do this).

If you need regular updates to keep your website popular with Google (google likes updated websites) then create a news page, it could include new techniques your uncle is using or new things happening in his field. It might be boring but try and make it as interesting as possible, the important thing is that your site is being updated.

Edit: One more thing, change the title of your homepage. You should include what you do and your location. For example: Foreverlock: Block paving California

You could even whittle it down to wherever you are based in California.

SB65
Mar 24th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I have been round this loop recently with a website which never seemed to be anywhere near the top of the rankings. I did some of the other stuff mentioned here but the thing that made the most difference was the page title.

The homepage title used to be something like "Firstname Lastname - Thingmaker and Tutor", with other pages "Firstname Lastname - Workshops" etc. problem was if you googled "thing workshops yorkshire" or similar then it wasn't anywhere in the results, despite lots of content about "things", workshops and yorkshire. I renamed all the pages to be more specific - eg. "Thing workshops in Yorkshire - Firstname Lastname", now pages are mostly in top 5 depending on exactly what the search string is.

mark-j
Mar 24th, 2009, 06:14 PM
When business went quiet for me a year or so ago, I taught myself SEO and managed a huge hike in google rankings & then traffic & clients.

It takes a lot of thought as well as re-coding, but it's well worth the investment.

Start here:
http://searchenginewatch.com/3631829

I now do a few hours of work on the website a week, sometimes more, checking and fine tuning, adding content etc

seobook.com also do a nice rank checker extension for FF which you should use every week or month.

Also look at who comes top 3 (above the fold) for your top desired search terms, and see what they do. Look at their content, tags, h1 h2 headings, keyword density and inbound links. Try to better them. Avoid no-nos like duplicate content.

Good luck!

TinyScript
Mar 24th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Thank you guys so very much for sharing this valuable knowledge. I have tried to understand exactly what SEO entails for a little while as I decide the design and layout of the site I want to build. I want to get it right the first time through. This is going to be a huge help.

I really like the tip of making your title as close to a google search would likely need to be to find your service.

oesxyl
Mar 24th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Thank you guys so very much for sharing this valuable knowledge. I have tried to understand exactly what SEO entails for a little while as I decide the design and layout of the site I want to build. I want to get it right the first time through. This is going to be a huge help.

I really like the tip of making your title as close to a google search would likely need to be to find your service.
search engine bots don't read and interpret javascript. This is another reason to use unobtrusive javascript and progressive enhancement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_enhancement

best regards