PDA

View Full Version : Scrollbars

Shaftsbury
07-09-2002, 12:04 AM
Possibly a dumb question, but is there any way I can force a scrollbar to the left side of a frame? This would leave the area between the frames seamless when a scrollbar is required.

Quiet Storm
07-09-2002, 02:40 AM
Yes!

The basics:

<HTML dir="rtl">

<BODY>
<DIV DIR="ltr" ALIGN="left">

...your entire content here...

</DIV>
</BODY>
</HTML>

An example:
http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/cbch21/2/FYI.html

Shaftsbury
07-09-2002, 04:43 AM
Excellent, thanks :thumbsup:

WA
07-09-2002, 06:59 AM
Interesting...I didn't know you could do that. Live and learn I guess. Thanks :)

Spookster
07-09-2002, 07:02 AM
I knew about being able to change the direction of everyting for the whole page but the thought of reversing just the content back within a div never occurred to me.

Although I believe it only works in Internet Explorer on the PC and I seem to recall that it doesn't work at all on a Mac. I could be wrong though.

Bosko
07-09-2002, 01:46 PM
It works in Netscape/Mozilla too,so it works on all platforms (since Mozilla/Netscape are the same on all OS').

Spookster
07-09-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Bosko
It works in Netscape/Mozilla too,so it works on all platforms (since Mozilla/Netscape are the same on all OS').

I just opened it in both NS4.x and Mozilla and it didn't work. And i'm pretty sure it doesn't work at all on a Mac. I seem to recall testing that theory awhile back. Just because it works in NS/Mozilla doesn't mean it works on all platforms and they aren't the same on all O/S's. Netscape and IE run quite differently from a PC to a Mac.

Bosko
07-09-2002, 08:34 PM
NS4 is such an old browser,and I meant NS7 and not 4....
That's because IE for windows and IE for Mac are two completely diferent applications,only the name is the same.Mozilla is the same on all platforms,only compiled diferent for each OS (like EXE for Win32 etc.).
I run Mozilla on Windows and Linux,and I never noticed any diference in the rendering of the pages (ofcourse Mozilla running on Linux is alot faster and more stable,but that's because Windows ME is so sucky:thumbsup: ).

boxer_1
07-09-2002, 09:29 PM
Here's a link to a similar discussion we had here recently on this topic that might be worth reviewing. Posting the link to the simialr discussion also helps tie everyting together ;) .

http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1048