PDA

View Full Version : How can I make my website easier to find?

Vapor
Feb 15th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I want people to be able to find my site a little easier on google. I have played around trying to figure out how easy it is to find my site via google, and I practically have to type in wait for marriage to find it. How can I make it easier to find?

Quickies
Feb 15th, 2009, 01:38 PM
You can use metatags, but this is not a garuantee for your site to pop up in google search result, but could help a little.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=meta+tags&meta=

Perhaps this could lead you on your the way

Ban-Lord
Feb 16th, 2009, 07:28 AM
You can use metatags, but this is not a garuantee for your site to pop up in google search result, but could help a little.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=meta+tags&meta=

Perhaps this could lead you on your the way

What he said.

<meta name="keywords" content="1, 2, 3" />
<meta name="description" content="your content here" />

You can insert meta tags in your <head></head> tags, and it is usually used by search engines to help index search results better.

gnomeontherun
Feb 16th, 2009, 11:17 AM
You already have the meta tags, they are provided by Joomla.

Clean up your template, it one of those free ones from SiteGround (which mostly they are underdeveloped templates that I believe were rejected, so they aren't finished and have their links in it). Get that out for starters, and then validate your markup (http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.waitformarriage.com%2F).

Other ideas:
Get the most out of joomla! Use SEF (there is a default setting, and you can also use an extension sh404SEF for more features).
Provide a sitemap for search engines.
Track your site, get an account with Google Analytics or something similar and find out where people actually go on your site. When you find more popular articles, write more like them.
Get your articles posted on other sites, and include articles from other sites. Legally though, by talking with the administrators of the other sites, building links.
Keep improving the content. There is no substitute for quality content.

JulieV
Feb 17th, 2009, 12:36 AM
The best thing for you to do is to send/submit more articles to Ezinearticles.com,go articles that has your keywords in the title and optimized the content of your articles. And the fastest to do that is to bookmark your pages. You can use bookmarker.com and its free and you can also submit the same bookmark page to propeller.
Hope this helps

JulieV

JulieV
Feb 17th, 2009, 12:39 AM
BTW. I mean Goarticles.com. And with bookmarker.com you will have your pages bookmark to 50 high PR sites which easily indexed your site. And once you got indexed by google, you can simply goolge your website title and its there-Visibly

gnomeontherun
Feb 17th, 2009, 09:47 AM
BTW. I mean Goarticles.com. And with bookmarker.com you will have your pages bookmark to 50 high PR sites which easily indexed your site. And once you got indexed by google, you can simply goolge your website title and its there-Visibly

I'm no so sure about doing that. Just submitting your content to indexing sites like that are not very likely to benefit you. This is psuedo black hat SEO I think. Its MUCH better to built organic link partners, not to work with some database. Chances are Google knows them, and discounts appropriately. You might see some benefits up front, but trust me the best methods are the ones that win in the long run and this is not one I would count on. Besides how does it help being in an index competing with thousands of others when you'd rather work on building a niche and competing only with those who have similar sites?

Think of it like this, would you rather spend $500 promoting your site in a newspaper, or would you rather spend it in a magazine specific to your topic or demographic? Likewise, where you put your sites digital tracks matters. If you connect yourself with the right demographics, you are much more likely to come out ahead than if you just try to overload a large site with content.

abduraooft
Feb 17th, 2009, 10:00 AM
1)Make your html documents semantic (http://www.boagworld.com/technology/semantic_code_what_why_how/), and in that way, you don't actually need to go behind the search engines, they will follow your content.

2)Make your links search engine friendly, and use meaningful urls to your pages.

3)Provide proper titles to your pages.

JulieV
Feb 17th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Hi Jeremy,
I went to other forums and that's where i got this idea of bookmarking and using bookmarker.com. I did ask if this is a white hat or black hat SEO and as long as you do not spam then bookmarking is not a Black SEO. I only bookmark my pages once and that's it. So if that is black hat then I think I have to rethink about bookmarking. Or is using bookmarker.com is a black hat SEO? I need some guidance on this matter if you have known something about this if you don't mind.
Thanks for some insights and things to ponder about bookmarking.

JulieV

jamesicus
Feb 17th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Start with Google's own Webmaster Tools (https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/docs/en/about.html)

James

gnomeontherun
Feb 17th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hi Jeremy,
I went to other forums and that's where i got this idea of bookmarking and using bookmarker.com. I did ask if this is a white hat or black hat SEO and as long as you do not spam then bookmarking is not a Black SEO. I only bookmark my pages once and that's it. So if that is black hat then I think I have to rethink about bookmarking. Or is using bookmarker.com is a black hat SEO? I need some guidance on this matter if you have known something about this if you don't mind.
Thanks for some insights and things to ponder about bookmarking.

JulieV

Well the site in question doesn't work for me, so I don't know. I think the problem could be if the site exists mostly to push the content in a link scheme. I can't check though since both times I've tested today the site doens't work.

As I said earlier, putting your articles on a website that indexes anything doesn't really help you all that much. Like tossing a coin in a wishing well verses into a jar designated for your favorite charity. In the former you are just letting the forces that be decide how it all plays out, but in the latter you are able to work to control the end more. My main points are to work on finding similar sites, not just a site index, and to focus on building relationships with them rather than any site.

Also I'm very leary of any site that says it can put your content onto top sites for free, theres a catch if it sounds too good.

JulieV
Feb 17th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I believe every word you said. And that's how it should be done. I myself do not want ot jeopardized my hard work and get nowhere. And I do have to make sure my contents are up to standard and I never use black hat Seo and would not even try. I hope I do not get into the trap of fast free stuffs.

BTW. I am very sorry I missed the right site name, its actually socialmarker.com

Thanks for bearing with me Jeremy

JulieV

gnomeontherun
Feb 18th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I believe every word you said. And that's how it should be done. I myself do not want ot jeopardized my hard work and get nowhere. And I do have to make sure my contents are up to standard and I never use black hat Seo and would not even try. I hope I do not get into the trap of fast free stuffs.

BTW. I am very sorry I missed the right site name, its actually socialmarker.com

Thanks for bearing with me Jeremy

JulieV

Socialmarker...that is not what I imagined. This seems like a legitimate tool now that I can see it :) but most of these won't help you if you aren't dugg enough or bookmarked enough, so its not necessarily an improvement.

Again I would be careful which ones I submit to (don't submit to slashdot if you aren't tech, etc), but in the end nobody knows exactly the secrets Google has up its sleeves!